PDA

View Full Version : no 6 plane

charlie spencer
06-29-2010, 5:01 PM
I have a no.6 plane with a corrugated sole. I cannot find any other identifying marks. I assume it is a Stanley, made in America. Any suggestions to help me ID the tool?
I need to order some parts.

lowell holmes
06-29-2010, 5:19 PM
A photo would help.

Archie England
06-29-2010, 6:44 PM
I have a no.6 plane with a corrugated sole. I cannot find any other identifying marks. I assume it is a Stanley, made in America. Any suggestions to help me ID the tool?
I need to order some parts.

Ain't necessarily right to assume so....

Tote and knob--what kind of wood or plastic; what color?
Base below frog--Y shaped, somewhat deep; shallow with three small bars; flat completely with groved edges?
How about that adjustment lever? Peined; two flaps down; or one flap turned down?
Blade--Is the bulb area just above the cutting edge or just below the top of the blade?

Well, there you have it! What you ask? A list of all the things that a series of good pics will show us. Looking forward to those pics.

Otherwise, do a search for recent threads on typing the Stanley Bailey planes. There should be some pretty good info. We'll be glad to help if possible.

What this sounds like is Stanley made for someone else clone--though Sargent and Millers Falls did likewise. Old Sargent off brands typically have a lot in common with the earlier frog base abandoned by Stanley. Off brands/clones are not automatically bad planes, but so many require a good deal of tinkering that it makes one not as willing to invest the time and money w/o reasonable certainty that it will emerge a solid user.

This is often why some brands are so berated....just saying

Arch

Bill Houghton
06-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Have you looked at the top of the cutting iron? This is the most common location for a maker's mark. If you don't find it on one side, flip the iron over; I'm always slightly amazed, but a lot of people assemble them backwards.

I bought a rabbet plane and a spokeshave at a white elephant sale a couple of years ago, and the guy said, "Really all I did with these was show my son how to use them." Too bad: he'd put the irons in backwards, so his son got some bad information. Oh, well; I got them for $8 each, so I guess it worked out OK.

Jim Koepke
06-30-2010, 12:04 AM
On a Stanley plane, the only place the name was marked was on the blade until about 1874. Then it was also on the lateral adjuster. The Bailey name was not cast into the base until 1902. The Bailey patent information was inside the brass adjusting knob until about 1891. Bailey's name was also on the chip breaker. Blades and chip breakers were often replaced.

The Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs has links to brass city records' pictures of lateral levers and their makers.

jim