PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Construction Question...

Maik Tobin
06-29-2010, 4:04 PM
I have been asked to build a cabinet like this:
http://www.homedecorators.com/pop.php?item=44503&parentId=4450330&img=large%2Fl4450330110.jpg&type=alt&sku=4450330110

And I was looking for some suggestions as to the best way to make the sides. My initial thought was to use 1/2 inch ply with a rabbited front and rear stile, and glue on 1/4 inch strips. Needs to have enough heft to support the shelves and drawers...any other ideas?

Steve Schoene
06-29-2010, 4:39 PM
It looks like it was designed as a frame and panel side, albeit with wider stiles than the panels in between. You could use the plywood for the panels and actually glue them in place, making the sides very sturdy.

Frank Drew
06-29-2010, 5:40 PM
I think Steve's correct that the sides are frame and flat panel construction (as are the doors), with the frame members made out of solid and a true 4/4+ finished thickness.

For looks, well chosen solid for the panels might look best unless you have some nice looking hardwood ply; I'd probably use at least 3/8" or better yet 1/2" for the panels so that the cabinet didn't feel too lightweight and cheesey. IMO.

Joe Chritz
06-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Since that is clearly a furniture piece I would likely stick with solid wood and make a frame and panel side. The panels themselves could be quality plywood or mdf core if you can find it.

The support for shelves and drawers is directly into the stile of the side if you use a frame and panel.

I have a couple cases at least that big that is my library shelves and they are solid frame and panel. The big one is about 12-14" deep and 8 foot tall.

Joe

Maik Tobin
06-30-2010, 8:05 AM
Since that is clearly a furniture piece I would likely stick with solid wood and make a frame and panel side. The panels themselves could be quality plywood or mdf core if you can find it.

The support for shelves and drawers is directly into the stile of the side if you use a frame and panel.

I have a couple cases at least that big that is my library shelves and they are solid frame and panel. The big one is about 12-14" deep and 8 foot tall.

Joe

If I go with a traditional frame and panel side, how would I attach the fixed shelves to the sides? If I use traditional rail & stile, won't there be a gap at the end of each fixed shelf where the panel is? My thought was to rabbit a 4 inch wide piece of oak to have a 1/4 inch reveal and glue that to the end of a panel made from 1/2 ply so that the 1/4 reveal overlaps the ply. Do the same thing for the rear edge and the glue a couple of 1/4 inch thick strips to the outside panel to as to appear to be actual separate panels. This would then give me a flat surface inside the cabinet to affix the fixed shelves to with dados.

Erik Christensen
06-30-2010, 8:59 AM
Maik -

That was my thought for construction of the sides and even the doors. I have a vacuum bag that handles large pieces and it would make that type of construction dead easy - some glue and 23 gage pins or blue tape to keep things from moving - 30 minutes under vacuum pressure and you are done.

Greg Hawthorne
06-30-2010, 9:09 AM
Are you trying to match the price, or just using the piece as guide to the style required?

Frank Drew
06-30-2010, 9:09 AM
Since that is clearly a furniture piece I would likely stick with solid wood and make a frame and panel side.

This is my thinking, also. For a piece of furniture, I'm just not wild about the aesthetics of gluing strips onto a plywood panel to simulate frame and panel; rather like those windows with fake divided lights (clips).

As for the ends of the shelves showing a gap at the panel in frame and panel construction, since this would be hidden inside the cabinet I'd choose not to worry about that.

Maik Tobin
06-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Just trying to match the appearance and style. I could never match that price! I certainly have no issue with making panels, however, I would be inclined to make them using 1/2 ply. I have access to very nice oak ply. I was just a little concerned about having a slight gap where the panels are against the fixed shelves. This would really only be an issue for the middle and upper cabinets as the drawers would conceal the gap.

So, should I not be concerned about the gap? Or is there a way to conceal them?

Thanks.