PDA

View Full Version : Latest Learnings

Jack Tyree
06-29-2010, 3:03 PM
It's been awhile since I've posted any of my examples and I know how everybody likes pictures, so here are some. I also know how folks like a good laugh too, but what the hey, I'm learning (by trial & kindlin' mostly)!

This first one is spalted hackberry and it is about 5 1/4 by 3 inches. It started out a lot bigger, but I guess I'm not the only one to ever say that. I got the inspiration (read: stole the design) from one in John Keaton's gallery. But I couldn't pull it off with his talent.:)

Any critique or comments are welcomed - I' not thin skinned and have a good sense of humor.

Michael E. Thompson
06-29-2010, 3:37 PM
Beautiful wood. I really like the detail around the rim. Very nice.

What finish did you use.

John Keeton
06-29-2010, 3:45 PM
Jack, that is an exceptionally nice piece, and I would be proud to have that one in my gallery anytime!! Great wood, and a beautiful rim detail. Well done!!

Jack Tyree
06-29-2010, 3:48 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot - it's the first coat of Tried & True. I just finished it about a hour ago!

Steve Schlumpf
06-29-2010, 4:19 PM
Very nice looking bowl Jack! Good form - beautiful wood! Hope you have lots more of that spalted Hackberry for turning!

Joe Herrmann
06-29-2010, 4:45 PM
Really like the rim on this one.

Joe

Leo Van Der Loo
06-29-2010, 5:34 PM
It's been awhile since I've posted any of my examples and I know how everybody likes pictures, so here are some. I also know how folks like a good laugh too, but what the hey, I'm learning (by trial & kindlin' mostly)!

This first one is spalted hackberry and it is about 5 1/4 by 3 inches. It started out a lot bigger, but I guess I'm not the only one to ever say that. I got the inspiration (read: stole the design) from one in John Keaton's gallery. But I couldn't pull it off with his talent.:)

Any critique or comments are welcomed - I' not thin skinned and have a good sense of humor.

Hé nice spalted bowl Jack, you surely can tell Hackberry is in the Elm family, as it looks just like that to me, very nicely done, thanks for showing :D

Bernie Weishapl
06-29-2010, 7:13 PM
Jack love the wood and form looks good.

David E Keller
06-29-2010, 8:04 PM
Nicely done. Great looking wood and finish. I like the rim detail, and I think it adds to the piece. The only thing that seems a little off is the smallish bead near the larger bead at the rim. I keep looking at it, and I can't decide whether I would change it or not.

What I think is not important... My wife tells me that all the time! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your turnings in the near future.

Tom Sherman
06-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Great wood Jack, and you have done a fine job. Looks like it would make a great icecream bowl.

Baxter Smith
06-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Great wood, great looking bowl!