james bell
06-29-2010, 1:54 PM
I need some 1/8" x 80" bandsaw blades and found the following:

Craftsman: $6.99
Olson Standard: $12.99
Olson All-Pro: $18.99
Carter Accuright: $20.99
Starrett Duratec Flexback: $15.91

I have been using the Craftsman and this size seems to break very frequently. Not sure if it is the quality of Craftsman (haven't had this problem with wider blades); the user (me); or maybe normal for thin blades.

I am doing bandsaw boxes, so cutting up to 4" thick material.

Believing you 'get what you pay for', are the other blades worth the extra money?

(And if anybody has found better pricing for these, please let me know. Spectrum Supply is where I have purchased my 1/4" blades and they don't carry 1/8")

Thanks ... jim

Lee Schierer
06-29-2010, 2:32 PM
Give the folks at Suffolk Machine (Timber Wolf Blades) a call. They want $16.95 for a 1/8 x 84" blade.

Myk Rian
06-29-2010, 7:29 PM
I've used Olsen, Timberwolf, and Supercut blades with great results.

jared herbert
06-30-2010, 12:01 AM
I have been using thetimberwolf 3/16 blade, I think 8 tpi, to cut band sawn boxes and I have yet to have a problem with breaking any of them. Some of the cuts are in blocks that are nearly 5" thick. They dont cost that much more and seem to last a long time. Jared

Van Huskey
06-30-2010, 1:48 AM
For me BS blades have gotten simple, for Carbide resaw blades the Laguna RK, for bi-metal and carbon blades 1/4" or larger Lenox, for smaller than 1/4" Starrett.

The Lenox and Starrett blades tend to be less expensive even when I find them to be better as long as you buy them from a supply house that welds to order from band stock.

Nothing wrong with a lot of the other blades I just see no reason to pay more when Lenox and Starrett are just as good or better and can be had cheaper.

Bill White
06-30-2010, 1:16 PM
Timberwolf for me. Never broken one yet. I said YET!!
Bill

glenn bradley
06-30-2010, 5:08 PM
I've run through several 1/8" Timberwolf blades and never broken one. Maybe the lower tension they use?

Robert Malone
07-02-2010, 4:18 AM
Buy Suffolk Machinery blades. Buy 3 for 16.95 each and get the 4th free.
They are a great blade.

james bell
07-02-2010, 10:25 AM
just ordered four from suffolk - hopefully they will last longer than my craftsman. if not, then i know who is to blame (ME).

thanks for all the assistance - happy and safe 4th to all.

Robert Malone
07-02-2010, 10:51 PM
just ordered four from suffolk -- Good for you!
hopefully they will last longer than my craftsman. -- They will!
if not, then i know who is to blame (ME). -- NO! I'll take the heat, just watch the tension.

thanks for all the assistance - happy and safe 4th to all.

You and yours have a safe one.

Jack Burgess
08-10-2010, 1:58 AM
Jim, I too have a Craftsman 10" band saw and do like it. However I am having a problem finding a 1/8 " x 70 1/2 " blade. Want to cut curves in 2" stock white pine. Also will the Craftsman take other lengths of blades - cannon find common store that sells 70 1/2" blades.

Jack Burgess
08-10-2010, 2:06 AM
James, I am unfamiliar with suffok - is that a company> would appreciate contact address.

Karl Card
08-10-2010, 2:11 AM
odd size blades can be bothersome... my 9 inch ryobi uses 59 1/4. If I go to 1/2 they do not last long as there is not enough tension to tighten them after little use... I can also use a 59 inch blade to.
on my 14 inch dayton I have to use a 93 inch... 93 1/2 is the same thing it will not let me have enough adjustment to tighten... but at least the book on it says 93 unlike the ryobi..

Will Overton
08-10-2010, 7:36 AM
James, I am unfamiliar with suffok - is that a company> would appreciate contact address.

Suffolk Machinery manufactures TimberWolf blades.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

Joseph Tarantino
08-10-2010, 7:40 AM
lennox blades from iturra design. i gave up on t-wolf blades...too many improper welds. lou iturra really knows how to weld a band saw blade and can probably help you figure out what's causing your breakage issues. no website but they can be reached here:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmc3znn/iturra-design

lou iturra has probably forgotten more about band saw blades than most of us will ever know. HTH.

Will Overton
08-10-2010, 10:15 AM
lou iturra has probably forgotten more about band saw blades than most of us will ever know. HTH.

Well, depending on what it is he has forgotten ... :D

Rod Sheridan
08-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Jim, I too have a Craftsman 10" band saw and do like it. However I am having a problem finding a 1/8 " x 70 1/2 " blade. Want to cut curves in 2" stock white pine. Also will the Craftsman take other lengths of blades - cannon find common store that sells 70 1/2" blades.

Jack, find a local saw shop that custom makes band saw blades.

They will provide a superior blade for less money than a retail blade, and they'll make it in any length you desire.

In addition they'll have tooth patterns and pitches that you can't find at the retail store.

Regards, Rod.

james bell
08-11-2010, 8:53 AM
I ordered the 1/4" blades from Spectrum Supply (haven't tried them yet), and 1/8" from Suffolk and love them over the Craftsman I have been using. The cut beautifully and have stayed sharp thru many cuttings of 4" hardwoods.

I had ordered three 3/16" from Sears catalog (not in stores) and two of them are much longer than 80" and the third broke after one cutting and with NOTHING be cut at the time - just the motor running. So I ordered the Olson blades.

Hopefully in the future I can report on which of these three blades are good - wishing all of them. But I can honestly say that the Craftsman band saw blades are not up to what I would call Craftsman's quality- since I love their handtools.