PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt RAS question

Tim Elder
06-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I found this saw on CL. I've been thinking about getting a RAS for a while, just not too seriously, so I'm not really too knowledgeable about them. The seller says it works fine, which I will, of course, try out for myself. Anything I should look for in particular and what would a fair price be? He really wants to get rid of it, and I think he'll take $100 or so.

thanks, tim

Myk Rian
06-29-2010, 12:37 PM
It looks like a complete MBF with stand, minus a couple knobs. It's worth $100.
Make sure the carriage glides smoothly, and the ways inside the arm aren't worn out. You can tell that by trying to wiggle the carriage at different points on the arm. Roughness when sliding the carriage could be something as simple as saw dust buildup, or more involved as bearings, which are available.
Loosen the locks on the carriage to see that it turns right/left, and the motor bevels right/left.
It needs a new table.

Paul Wunder
06-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Using the rear handle, make sure that the arm and carriage assembly will go up and down the column smoothly. If not, it could be as simple as accumulated sawdust around the column or lack of lubrication. Or it could be a worn screw (acme screw?) which could be troublesome.

Bob Aquino
06-29-2010, 3:28 PM
From what I can see (and it isnt that much from the pic) its missing some knobs. Check to see that the table supports are there as well, often times they go missing and then you will have to scrounge to get a pair. I would start the bidding at 50 bucks, keeping in mind that many of these machines go for less with all the parts. Good luck.

Tim Elder
06-29-2010, 5:08 PM
Well I emailed back with an offer of $50, assuming it all worked. The guy said he had 3 offers of $100 and one of $200 already. I'm not going to sweat it, if I don't get it there's always another day when one will pop up.

zayd alle
06-29-2010, 5:16 PM
It actually looks to be a GWI model, which means 10" (instead of a 9") and 1.5hp 110/220v motor... harder to find than the 9" versions.

Darnell Hagen
06-29-2010, 7:51 PM
$100 is worth it, I'd go as high as $150 if the ways check out.

Mine was $200, and it has all it's knobs and legs.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s168/DarnellHagen/P1500965.jpg

Then again, I got a 14" DeWalt GA for nuthin.

They are cheap, most want a Sliding Compound Mitre Saw and see RAS as obsolete.

They are good saws. I really like the switch from 110 to 220, too, because it is literally just that, a switch.

Plus the handles make it portable.:D