PDA

View Full Version : Switch to turn your laser on and off?

Gary and Jessica Houghton
06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I am looking to move my store and am thinking of putting my laser next to my desk. The problem with this is the on/off switch will then be facing the wall and not easily accessible. I am wondering if anyone has a wall switch to turn on/off the laser that will allow me to leave the laser on permanently at the machine, but be able to turn on/off with a switch on the wall. (kind of like the ventilation system)

Thanks!
Jessica Houghton

Dan Hintz
06-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Mine is plugged into a surge protector strip that hangs on the wall right next to the computer... makes access easier.

Jim Beachler
06-29-2010, 12:27 PM
I have mine hooked up to a 220 knife switch that controls the blower and the 110 for the laser and air pump.

This way I cannot have the laser run without the blower and pump on.

Jim

James Terry
06-29-2010, 2:07 PM
My laser takes too long to self-test during 'boot up' so I have two strips; one for the laser and print server and the second for the exhaust systems. I turn the exhaust off after every run and I let the laser idle between projects.

One could go to Goodwill and pick up a computer power switch module that sits under the crt. Of course this will use only a single circuit. I am sure that many folks here run their blowers on a separate circuit from their laser. You could try using an X10 relay module for remote control or implement any number of ethernet controllers for power. You can find an APC Masterswitch on ebay for good deals. Or you could just kick a cheap power strip under the machine and turn it on and off with your foot.

You could find a latching foot switch (http://webglider.com/link/?id=n).

Chuck Stone
06-29-2010, 8:05 PM
I've got a few remote controlled switches that I hooked up to the laser,
the compressor and the duct collector. Makes things pretty simple in a
crowded area. The dust collector is under an insulated box to keep the
noise down and the air assist compressor is behind other equipment, so
this allows me to turn things on and off with the remote instead of climbing
over and around other things.

06-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Thank you to all who have answered. Now my biggest concern is permits for the new space. - UGH!

James Terry
06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Over here in Plano you can erect an out building under 220sq ft without permit as long as it follows some guidelines. My guess is that you are going to go bigger though. Perhaps you need the out building to store junk and then convert the garage into your workshop, eh?

Amy Shelton
07-01-2010, 3:53 PM
When we built our laser room (enclosed a porch), we installed two light switches in reach of my chair, one controls the air compressor, the other the exhaust. Both the compressor and the exhaust are underneath the porch. The laser switch itself, (like Dan) I have mine on a power surge suppressor. But I always ALWAYS unplug it when I'm not using it. (unless I forget) I read here that some people have had lightning problems, and our area is susceptible to zaps.

Getting permits can be a pain. Hopefully, you'll have no troubles.

Michael Simpson Virgina
07-01-2010, 7:49 PM
I picjed up two Belkin Remote power strips when I purchased my laser. One switch powers the laser and the other the blower.

They have a little sticky mount so the switches can me mounted on your laser or if you want set on your desk. They have about a 10' range.

They cost me $39 each and can handle 15 or 20 amps I cant remeber off hand.

John Barton
07-04-2010, 7:57 AM
For sure make sure that the power strip can handle the power draw. I had a big job go south when the power failed in the middle of it.

Like others here I put the laser on one strip and the blower on the other.

07-06-2010, 2:51 PM
I will definitely be purchasing a power strip.

Am I the only crazy person that has a laser and uses it for retail business? Well, we are moving more and more towards manufacturing and industrial business, but will probably always have retail.

Our space will be bigger than 220 sqft. I have thought about moving to the house, but with retail customers now, I don't think it too practical.

Thanks again for everyone's response.

Jim Beachler
07-07-2010, 12:42 PM
No you are not crazy. I also use my laser for the retail market.
You have to hunt a little harder for customers but you get more money per order.

James Terry
07-08-2010, 10:48 PM
This American DJ Lighted Switch (http://webglider.com/link/?id=o) is a nice touch for operating the equipment. I wired mine so that the wifi print server comes on with the laser and then the other items can be controlled as needed for each job. I can send a job then come turn on the exhaust and hit the run button.

It is rated at 15 amps and has a breaker. One could open it up and install a larger power cord and breaker if desired.

http://webglider.com/laser/2010/images/DSC07207.JPG

Dan Hintz
07-09-2010, 6:23 AM
It is rated at 15 amps and has a breaker. One could open it up and install a larger power cord and breaker if desired.
If you do, make sure the switches are rated for more than 15A before replacing the breaker for a larger one...