PDA

View Full Version : Caught a little lightning last night

Mitchell Andrus
06-29-2010, 8:27 AM
The house was surrounded by the quietest lightning I've ever seen. It was absolutely silent and no rain. There were flashes every 15 to 20 seconds. I've never seen anything like it. It was spooky.

I got this one on the first attempt. Tried about 30 more and missed every time. Gotta find the 'bulb' setting on my camera for next time.

Steve Schlumpf
06-29-2010, 8:29 AM
Great photo Mitchell! You should enter that one in a photo contest or something! Pretty cool!

Bill Leonard
06-29-2010, 8:50 AM
The house was surrounded by the quietest lightning I've ever seen. It was absolutely silent and no rain. There were flashes every 15 to 20 seconds. I've never seen anything like it. It was spooky.

I got this one on the first attempt. Tried about 30 more and missed every time. Gotta find the 'bulb' setting on my camera for next time.
Mitchell,
My quess is that it was cloud to cloud and probably heat generated, thus no sound and no rain. I spent 40 years in the front office of aircraft and seeing cloud to cloud at altitude is absolutely spectacular. I never cease to be amazed at the power of nature.

Horton Brasses
06-29-2010, 9:01 AM
Great pic!

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Great pic, Mitchell. Welcome to the South. We had the same type of "storm" around twilight last night. Spectacular lightning, a few sprinkles of rain later.

Matt Meiser
06-29-2010, 11:15 AM
You can keep it down there if you'd like. We had our 3rd confirmed tornado event in about 3 weeks in our county over the weekend. Several more in a 50 mile radius.

David G Baker
06-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Mitchell,
That is one of the finest lightning photos I have ever seen. I agree with entering the photo in a competition, I feel that it is an award winning photograph.

Bonnie Campbell
06-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Cool picture..... how many spotted the 'face' in the picture? :p

Ben Franz
06-29-2010, 11:44 AM
That is an excellent picture. We get those types of lightning storms several times each summer, usually over the mountains east of Santa Fe (maybe 60 miles NE of my house). The flashes are often at 5-10 second intervals so it's quite a natural fireworks show.

Stephen Tashiro
06-29-2010, 2:52 PM
Last time I looked, Florida was number one in deaths by lightning in the USA and North Carolina was number two. Florida's place, I understand. But why is NC so high? I was raised there in the piedmont and mountains. Are most of the deaths from lightning on the coast?

Jim Mattheiss
06-29-2010, 4:33 PM
Mitchell -

I thought that this was going to tie into your "internet in the shop" thread. I guess that's why you are going/went fiber channel.

Cool picture

Cheers

Jim

Mitchell Andrus
06-29-2010, 6:23 PM
Mitchell -

I thought that this was going to tie into your "internet in the shop" thread. I guess that's why you are going/went fiber channel.

Cool picture

Cheers

Jim

HA. Hadn't thought of that.

Rob Wachala Jr
06-29-2010, 8:19 PM
That's a sweet shot.

Larry Frank
06-29-2010, 8:30 PM
What a great shot of the lightning.

My computer and electronics cringe everytime that we have heavy lightning. I have very good protection with both surge protector and UPS. The UPS has been great as it keeps the computer running even whent he lightning causes a momentary loss of power. I also have zero deductable and all causes insurance on my electronics. I just hate to even think of having to rebuild my computer even with full backups.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-29-2010, 9:05 PM
Awesome photo! Thanks for sharing.

Jim Rimmer
06-29-2010, 9:23 PM
Last time I looked, Florida was number one in deaths by lightning in the USA and North Carolina was number two. Florida's place, I understand. But why is NC so high? I was raised there in the piedmont and mountains. Are most of the deaths from lightning on the coast?
I forget which sport but one of the Tampa Bay pro teams is the Lightning. Tampa Bay area is #1 in US in lightning strikes.

Michael Weber
06-29-2010, 9:27 PM
Cool picture..... how many spotted the 'face' in the picture? :p

I thought it looked like an animals face. Rabbit or something.

neal jack
06-30-2010, 2:56 AM
That's a sweet shot.
yeah, really amazing shot