PDA

View Full Version : New Hollow Form

Steve Trauthwein
06-29-2010, 7:43 AM
Hello All,

This is a piece of hackberry that is 7-1/2 inches tall by 6-1/2 inches. The shape is a little unorthodox, but I like it. It is finished with wax and blo. I would appreciate feedback on this piece, if don't like it, fine tell me why. 3/16 wall thickness, personally one of my favorites.

Regards, Steve

PS You won't hurt my feelings if you don't like it.

Thom Sturgill
06-29-2010, 8:01 AM
Nice piece of wood, excellent job on the globular form but a little straight where it goes into the foot. I am not particularly fond of footed bowls, and HFs. This would probably work better for me if the form visually completed the bottom of the sphere more and you created a bead separating the foot from the globe.

Of course I haven't had much luck with HFs myself lately. I am waiting delivery of a steady rest and purchase of probably an articulated arm hollowing tool next month to try too much. I do have one small item and a stave piece I will hollow when I get the steady rest. My image manipulation ability is not up to showing you what I am talking about, but I will give it a try even though its surely too late to modify this piece, it will illustrate my idea.

Do you use a hollowing rig or hand held tools?

David E Keller
06-29-2010, 8:09 AM
Nicely done. If you like it, it's a good piece. The wood is gorgeous. I agree with Thom's sentiment about the bottom of the curve and the foot. I think one of the reasons that I often don't like feet on forms is that I struggle to figure out how to make them pleasing to my eye. I see lots of pieces with feet that I really like, but I have trouble turning things with feet that I like. All in all, you've done a really nice job with this piece of wood.

Baxter Smith
06-29-2010, 8:17 AM
Great piece of wood and nice shape. Maybe more curve at the bottom and a smaller foot?

John Keeton
06-29-2010, 9:47 AM
Steve, first of all, that wood looks like it was challenging, and you conquered it very well!

Vase forms are generally not appealing to me, but some do have intrigue about them. For me, and I do mean just ME, it takes something unique on a vase form to draw my attention. For that reason, I do agree on the bottom area, transitioning to the foot, and perhaps a little more "break" between the form and foot by way of curvature and demarcation (bead, etc.)

But, you did an excellent job on this one, and if you like it, then odds are, you are not the only one out there. Turners don't generally buy woodturnings. While the opinions I receive here on my pieces matter a great deal to me, it always amazes me when others see them and quickly chose one as a favorite that I didn't particularly care for, or that other creekers found not "just right."

So, it really comes down to a matter of personal taste. If the piece is "clean" and finished well (and it looks like it is), then I think you have a winner!!

Allen Neighbors
06-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Well, Steve, I like a lot of turned pieces that, as John says, are found not "just right"... There's something about this one that I think doesn't fit the "norm", and that makes it appealing to me. It's an unusual piece. There are some parts of the "rule of thirds" that are bypassed in the formation of this one. The wood is gorgeous, and the sanding and finish seems to be very well done.
I like it. :)

Steve Trauthwein
06-29-2010, 3:21 PM
First of all I want to thank everyone for their unput and to answer the question, I use a Jamieson hollowing tool to hollow larger pieces.

I see the point of making a more spherical piece and delineating it from the foot with a bead, or using no foot at all. I turned this one intentionally with the flow from the foot. I like the feel and the look of the piece.

I do take the points you have made. I just happen to like this piece as it is. I am taking it to a show next month, I'll see if anyone else likes it.

Regards, Steve

Steve Mawson
06-29-2010, 3:41 PM
Good luck on the show. I had to look at the piece for awhile but after I did it started to "grow" on me. Agree with you, if you like it then that is really what matters. Let us know how the show goes.

Steve Schlumpf
06-29-2010, 4:27 PM
Beautiful wood! Interesting form! Wasn't 100% with the form growing into a foot - but the more I look at it, the more I like it!

Best of luck with your show! Hope everything sells!

Tom Sherman
06-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Steve your comment about the shape being a little unorthodox is interesting. Some turners are also shaped a little unorthodoxical...myself included. I like the piece you have done well the wood is very nice too.

Mark Burge
06-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Okay, I'll swim against the tide. I really like the form and think the foot is perfect flowing from the form. It makes the whole piece look a little like a fun cartoon character ala the Mr. Men and Little Misses. http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41500000/jpg/_41500264_mrhappy.jpg

Hilel Salomon
07-01-2010, 8:09 AM
My wife likes footed pieces and she would prefer your beautiful bowl to a classically rounded one. Ultimately, what pleases you should rule.... Of course, in my household my wife decides what should please me.

Hilel.

Bernie Weishapl
07-01-2010, 4:01 PM
Steve great looking piece out of really nice wood. My wife also likes pieces with a foot on them. Don't know why but she does.

Scott Lux
07-01-2010, 4:06 PM
I like this one a lot too. It seems almost like a viscous fluid in it's flow from top to foot.

Don Alexander
07-01-2010, 11:35 PM
the beauty of this endeavor is that there is no right or wrong only personal preference :)

well executed piece and a very nice piece of wood :)

Chris Hayes
07-02-2010, 6:19 PM
I'm with Mr. Burge -- I liked this right off the bat. (I tend to like non-traditional)
I think it looks like what a blow-fish-of-the-forest would look like if it were standing. I know that's a bit of a stretch...but I'm sitting here with some goldfish crackers and that might influence my opinion.

John Keeton
07-02-2010, 6:52 PM
.... Of course, in my household my wife decides what should please me.

Hilel.You are a smart man, Hilel....a smart man! The surest route to a good marriage.