PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Driftmaster on MM16

Tom Godley
06-29-2010, 12:19 AM
I just received my Driftmaster and I am going tot install it on my MM16 this weekend. Any tips -- I see the video for an install on the MM20.

Can I install the DM on the MM16 with the crank on the left as shown in the Laguna CD??

Not sure if it matters - but it looks like with the crank on the left it is out of the way -- although it is mentioned that this can hit the lower door on some saws.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Al Navas
06-29-2010, 6:46 AM
Tom,

I have a Grizzly 17-inch band saw. I first saw this during my installation of the DriftMaster:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/fence-handle-door.jpg

I relaxed a few minutes, and started looking at the bottom door. It was time well spent, as the door will simply lift out of the hinges:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/fence-door-removed.jpg

I wonder if you can also lift the door out of its hinges?

You can read more about my installation on my blog. I will send a PM with the link, as the TOS prohibits a direct link.

Al

Tom Godley
06-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks - I can not remember if the MM16 has removable doors ?

Rick Markham
06-29-2010, 10:18 AM
If you need to the handle swaps very easily to the right side, the instructions suck, but the fence is worth it. :D

Mark Woodmark
06-29-2010, 10:23 AM
The crank can be on either the left or right. Taking it apart will allow this reversal. Crumple up the instructions and throw them away. They are worthless. If you have to drill holes in the table, think long and hard about their location before drilling. The instructions dont give much guidance on this. The universal brackets provided with the Driftmaster will handle about any location, but the finished installation although functional may look stupid

Tom Godley
06-29-2010, 3:18 PM
Bought this on the recommendations of others -- so I have never used one.

I remember seeing somewhere that you do need to drill holes for the MM16 install - that is why I thought I would try to find someone who already installed it. Would rather have only one set of holes to drill. I believe that the current MM fence has the holes on the bottom whereas the DM needs the holes on the face of the table.