PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Chatter Marks

Paul Ryan
06-28-2010, 10:45 PM
A couple of weeks ago I started to get chatter markes in my work pieces from the jointer. They are very close "washboard" effect marks. The knives we old and dull so I figured that was the problem. So I decided to change out the knifes with a new set. That night I also checked and adjusted the belt. It hadn't been touched in 5 years. I still have the chatter marks. I have rechecked all of the knives they are all exactly the same height. If I push the work piece through real slow the marks go away. But if I run it though an average or fast past I get the chatter marks. The machine doesn't appear to have anymore vibration that before. It is a 5 year old jet 6". Thanks in advance

glenn bradley
06-28-2010, 11:28 PM
The knives are moving in an arc so feed rate is a contributing factor. Too fast a feed rate will get washboard marks even with a spiral head. Perhaps you have become real comfortable with your jointer and are feeding faster than you think(?).

Lee Schierer
06-29-2010, 8:45 AM
I agree with Glenn. Slow down your feed rate, assuming that the belt you tightened is not worn out and slipping any way.

John Thompson
06-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I third what has been said on slow the feed rate and... if it is really dense stock I would decrease the depth and be sure you feed with the grain to eliminate another potential problem. Yeah.. it will require more passes but.. I got more time than I do money to purchase more wood. haha..

Good luck...

Paul Ryan
06-29-2010, 2:25 PM
Thanks guys. I guess I am in too much of a hurry. It seems painstakingly slow but if that is what I have to do than so be it. It has been thicker red oak I am edge jointing 6/4, 8/4, 10/4. I dont get the chatter marks face jointing, probably because I go slower. Thanks again

johnny means
06-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Another factor is the fact that your hands are applying the downward force against the blades upward force. Naturally your hands have a slight amount of give, which allows the board to bounce up and down ever so slightly and very rapidly. You may recognize this as a sensation called vibration.

I run all my jointed edges through my planer for the final pass. Eliminates all my chatter problems.