PDA

View Full Version : Another drill press table question

Louis Brandt
06-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Hello,

I’m still trying to decide whether to buy or build a table for my 10 inch bench top drill press, but whether I buy or build, I see a problem with the crank handle. On mine, the crank handle will hit the bottom of any table that I install on it, unless I put something under the new table to raise it about two inches off the metal table.

Are all drill presses made this way, with the crank handle being in the way, making it necessary to install a “filler” underneath the drill press table? And is there any way around having to install a “filler” underneath a drill press table that anyone has come up with?

Thanks,
Louis

glenn bradley
06-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Are all drill presses made this way, with the crank handle being in the way,Many are. Most DP's lean toward a metal drilling function. Therefor the need for a table and other add-ons by us woodworkers.

And is there any way around having to install a “filler” underneath a drill press table that anyone has come up with? My first shop made table had a cutout to allow the handle to pass. This has to be pretty sizable to allow the handle AND your hand to pass. My current DP has the handle/table-raise knuckle at an angle to solve this.

If you don't drill a lot of tall stuff I see no issue building a stand-off for the table. You could build a small drawer into this space for chuck-keys, allen wrenches and such.