PDA

View Full Version : Third Bowl

Rich Aldrich
06-28-2010, 9:35 PM
This is another bowl out of the same hard maple. This one was going to be deeper, but I had to turn the pith out of it. When I was finsh turning the inside a small crack developed from the pith to the rim. I was luck not to loose this one. It became a very shallow bowl. I like how the dark heart wood goes all the way across the bowl.

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2010, 9:37 PM
Another nice one Rich! You getting the hang of this bowl turning thing yet? More importantly - you having fun?

David E Keller
06-28-2010, 9:38 PM
Nice save. The curve looks good to me, and the coloring of the heartwood adds a lot to the overall look. Keep 'em comin'.

John Keeton
06-28-2010, 9:50 PM
Nice grain orientation, and this is the best form of the three. You are definitely in the zone!

James Combs
06-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Wow, now I really like this one. As already mentioned, a very nice save. If it were me I would say I planned that depth.

David DeCristoforo
06-28-2010, 10:02 PM
"...I had to turn the pith out of it..."

So far, I've turned the pith out of everything I've tried. You nailed this one. It's got that "something" that sets it apart.

Roger Chandler
06-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Nice one Rich! You are certainly gaining in your skill level. I like Steve's question........Are you having fun?

Mark Burge
06-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Rich, I really like the bevel edge treatment on the second and third bowls. Nice work.

Baxter Smith
06-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Nice bowl. I like the balanced heartwood. It adds a lot.

Tim Rinehart
06-29-2010, 9:29 AM
I like all three of the bowls you've posted, and as others have commented, the rim detail is a nice touch. I've been using that same kind of rim on last couple bowls I've done, especially the ones being used inside the house...they seem to beg to be used...or I may be nuts.

That is an interesting band in the last one, kinda like a bow-tie...hope you're a Chevy fan. :D

Rich Aldrich
06-30-2010, 6:41 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I learned this rim from the Bill Grumbine video that Steve let me borrow. That is a great video.

This is a small diameter tree - maybe 9 inches where I have been taking wood. The larger area is where it was rotten, split and broke off. The stub is still standing. I ought to check it out - may be a lot of rot, but might have some good spots.