PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraving Through Wipe on Poly?

Dale Bright
06-28-2010, 8:47 PM
I come here to ask the experts about engraving through wipe on poly. I have been asked to donate an ambrosia maple bowl I turned, to a fund raising auction. The bowl has a gloss finish of wipe on poly. My laser guy has never tried to do this and is worried the finish will crack. I want to have the date of the event and a logo engraved on the bottom of the bowl.

I tried the search function, but no luck.

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance,

Dale

Tim Bateson
06-28-2010, 9:32 PM
The quick answer is Yes.
The longer answer is - depending on the thickness of the finish, I usually do a light pass to burn through the finish & another to perform the actual engraving. This can be done in one pass, but I prefer not to on fine pieces. It reduces the chance of a melted look on the edge of the engraving & usually a better burn. A brownish residue may form around the engraving - a bit of denatured alcohol will clean that right off.

If you want to be sure..... give your engraver a piece of scrap with the same finish for practice.

Mike Null
06-28-2010, 10:56 PM
I agree--no problem.

Bill Cunningham
06-29-2010, 8:33 PM
I've engraved through some pretty heavy lacquer and epoxy coatings on Canoe paddles without problems.. Not being much of a woodworker, I never even considered that the finish might crack. It never has!