View Full Version : Interesting

Kevin Arceneaux
12-01-2004, 12:33 PM
You may find this interesting. Look at the "thread to nowhere" comments

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/webreview.cfm

Jack Hogoboom
12-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Hmmm,

Seems a little unfriendly. Maybe they're just jealous because of all the great responses that do get posted on this forum.

Jack

Dominic Greco
12-01-2004, 12:52 PM
That's my post about the flat bottom dados! I guess I got my 5 minutes (more like 5 seconds) of fame.

Aaron Koehl
12-01-2004, 3:41 PM
Certainly not an example of the "distillation of the best conversations, opinions, and tips from all over the woodworking web."

<SCRIPT> writeThis = ("Send this article to a friend ("")") document.writeln(writeThis); </SCRIPT>

John Miliunas
12-01-2004, 3:43 PM
You may find this interesting. Look at the "thread to nowhere" comments

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/webreview.cfm

Yeah, I saw that earlier. Doesn't sound too flattering, does it? NOW, shall I blow the whole article and thread out of the water? :D After talking to my friend, it turns out that at one point he had taken that puppy down to bare wood and used a Minwax Poly (spray, I believe) on it. He instructed me to go ahead and experiment with it. So.......I did. I squirted lacquer out of a can on it. Several coats, as a matter of fact. I let it cure up and, after carefully checking it over, brought it back to him. He was pleased! Looks just fine and a whole heckuva' lot better than it did before! :) Can't say as to how robust the finish would be, but he's just re-assembling it and hanging it on the wall, anyway. :) :cool:

Jim Fancher
12-01-2004, 3:46 PM
That's odd. I own a few automotive forums and can just imagine the "heckling from the cheap seats" some of the threads would get.

I don't even see the point of the column.

John Miliunas
12-01-2004, 4:07 PM
I don't even see the point of the column.

Totally agreed, Jim! Exactly what "value" was added to the online rag by that is beyond me! So much so that I just "unsubscribed" from it and sent them an email letting them know as much. Maybe I'm being a bit oversensitive, but a thread being tagged by a "major" publication like that as "drivel" is just kind of a "turn-off". I've got big shoulders and can take a LOT of ribbing and do so on a regular basis. BUT, that HAS to come from people I "know", not some inane writer trying to fill space. If SMC wasn't as civil a place as it is, I'd be a bit less "pleasant" about this! :rolleyes: I, for one, won't be doing anything with their online or paper publications, nor support their online mag vendors! :mad: 'Nuf said. :) :cool:

Jim Becker
12-01-2004, 4:41 PM
I'm glad I don't read that E-Zine...that kind of negativity is something I don't want or need!

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-01-2004, 4:57 PM
I have read some of the things there..........before. I was always taught that the ONLY stupid question was the one NOT asked. There are also times when I have had trouble understanding why someone wanted to do something and asked why. I don't feel that It was wrong to do so. Also, while there are some answers that don't add to a discussion, I don't believe that they should be chastized for posting them. It it doesn't answer the question, you disregard it.

I'm cancelling me subscription to it, too.

BE right back.

Bruce

Donnie Raines
12-01-2004, 5:01 PM
That was rediculous! I really disagree with the tone that this article had. There was a very negative feel to it.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-01-2004, 5:10 PM
I'm back. Don't know or really care if they listen or not! Ifeel better!

Bruce

Kevin Arceneaux
12-01-2004, 5:16 PM
I had a few problems with that and the comment about kitty litter. I worked as a regulator and reg development in haz waste for 7.5 years for the state. The comments from the fireman are not entirely correct. Household Haz Waste is EXEMPT from haz waste regs. 40 CFR 261.4(a)(1) There may be local and state rules including it, you need to check you local boards. Do NOT ask the waste hauling company, their people generally get it wrong. (Been there, done that)

Michael Cody
12-01-2004, 9:04 PM
I too have to admit that I read that article as a negative connotation.. I think I know what Rob was going for, I think he missed it somewhat. I reread that thread he was talking about and if you were not a regular here & didn't know some of the personalities involved, well I can see how you get the title he came up with.

I do not believe I would have published it that way myself, but then I am not a EZine publisher. I don't see it as an attack on SMC or anywhere else, just a musing on a thread that never really answered John's question that happened to be on SMC. I've seen similar threads on every board.

I agree with Rob that follow up questions and help were not all that fountaining from the mass of knowledge here. If I had asked that question and been a total newbie on these here Internet boards, I might have been scared off by Jim's answer -- it could be seen as somewhat of a rant -- but I fully agree with Jim and know him to be knowledgeable and know that John would take it correctly -- so I don't see a problem with it, others might (sorta like Rob's article). The potential for a major problem caused by the advice could have come up when any of us offers advise without knowing all the facts .. like water based versus oil based poly.

I also don't see this as a major affront that requires me or anyone to stop reading what is a fairly good EZine newsletter, but that is me, not anyone else so ya gotta do what you gotta do. I suspect my email is not the only one Rob got so hopefully he will see that he generated some ill-will. I would hope he posts here on this thread explaining his intent which I am sure is benevolent .. not that some of us, including me can't get a little hot under the collar sometimes .. however I don't see no fightin' words in that article.:)

Then that (like the article) is just one man's opinion.... ;)

Ted Shrader
12-01-2004, 9:18 PM
That's my post about the flat bottom dados! I guess I got my 5 minutes (more like 5 seconds) of fame.
Dom -

You posted the same thing here, too. Many of the same types of replies were given. I followed both threads to see if anything different popped out. Interesting that Rob could not have combined the two thread ideas.

One of the previous editions did not include a thread discussion from SMC, but had Woodcentral, Woodweb and the Oak. No big deal, spread the wealth around. This edition has two Woodcentral threads and a not so positive on from SMC. Hmmmm . . . . is there a pattern beginning to appear?

I go to all the sites mentioned above, just post much more frequently here because the friendly environment suits me better.

Regards,
Ted

Keith Outten
12-01-2004, 10:27 PM
I think Rob was having a bad day, his message concerning the "Dovetail Dilemma" was also on the negative side.

Personally I think that any kind of negative message is counterproductive and most woodworkers understand that we all try to help each other when we respond to another woodworkers request for information. It is rare to find a certified expert on any public forum who is willing to help and we do make mistakes on occasion, but isn't that part of the learning experience. Fortunately there is a lot of friendship along the way which seems to make our mistakes a little more tolerable and we can laugh at ourselves in good company :)

Christopher Pine
12-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Anyone heard the saying better to be thought a fool then to opens ones mouth and remove all doubt! (I am not referring to me now :) )
What in the .... is this guys problem! To find negative on these forums and comment on it! Actually it was negative to him... i seen nothing wrong with the responses. Excuse us if we are not the allmight know it all like this guy! OF all the positive things on this forum this jerk picks out somthing and takes the negative! WOW!!!
Furthermore if he is part of this forum why didn't he chime in!!!! HELLO!!!
Not willing to contribute but willing to point out how ignorant everyone supposedly was?
HMMM???

Chris

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-01-2004, 11:39 PM
That's the great thing about being in the U.S. You can say whatever you want! But remember - actions have consequences. Sometimes it means that when you are a writer, you lose readership.

Bruce

Jerry Olexa
12-02-2004, 12:25 AM
The tone of that article was extremely condescending and negative. Sometimes, people will try to criticize others to build themselves up. Don't know if that's the case here. Lastly, what is the POINT or purpose of this article?:confused:

Dennis Peacock
12-02-2004, 2:10 AM
I think the author of that article had his ponytail wrapped too tight!!! :rolleyes: :eek: Maybe they just need to let their hair down and enjoy what the rest of us like.....reading and sharing about ww'ing.!!! ;) :D

Rob Johnstone
12-02-2004, 5:17 PM
Sometimes people (like chuckleheaded eZine editors) make mistakes. I just signed up to Sawmill so that I could personally apologize for being so crabby and negative.
One thing I can promise is that I will learn from this experience.
Rob Johnstone, editor, Woodworker's Journal eZine

John Miliunas
12-02-2004, 5:29 PM
Sometimes people (like chuckleheaded eZine editors) make mistakes. I just signed up to Sawmill so that I could personally apologize for being so crabby and negative.

Well Rob, it doesn't take an Einstein to pull a bonehead move. :rolleyes: It does, however, take a good person to admit their error and post it publicly. :) Thank you. :) :cool:

Jim Becker
12-02-2004, 5:32 PM
Thanks, Rob. I'm glad you joined SMC and hope you'll chime in once in awhile. Part of understanding the interaction in forums is understanding the community and there is no better way to do that then by participating in it!

Glenn Clabo
12-02-2004, 8:30 PM
Okay Rob...
So does this mean I won't expect an answer to my email? ;)

Glad you signed on and hope you stick around to get the flavor of this place. It may not be as big as some...but it's a comfortable place to hang around.

Ted Shrader
12-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Rob -

Thanks for checking in. Experience, however learned, is a good thing. It takes a good person to admit to gaining the wrong type of "experience".

Regards,
Ted

Jerry Clark
12-08-2004, 9:00 PM
Thanks Rob for pointing me to a worthwhile forum-- Need to cancel my subscription!

Lee Schierer
12-09-2004, 9:53 AM
My only comment which I forwarded to the editor of the E-zine, was if he read the thread, had specific expertise that would correct a wrong answer, why didn't he just post a response with the "correct answer" instead of trashing a respectable forum where thousands of other messages have perfectly acceptable answers. I'm not a subscriber to his E-zine and probably won't be if that is the attitude of the editor.

I'm also rethinking my subscription to the related wood working magazine, despite the apology above.