PDA

View Full Version : Getting the red out... or how to keep it out.

Bill Huber
06-28-2010, 7:17 PM
Here is a recipe box I made for the wife, not to much of a box, just a little project.
It is Blood wood and Maple, the problem was when sanding the red from the blood wood gets into the end grain of the maple and I could not get it out.

How do you keep this from happening when you are using high contrast woods. You can see the end grain of the maple has a reddish look to it.

Kind of a side not is the cut for the lid, it would have been an easy cut with the band saw, but it was just to wide and I do not have a raiser block on my saw..... so

I made the angle cut on the table saw with a full kerf blade and then put a 1/8" bit in the router in the router table, set the fence and made the rest of the cut, worked out very well.

154568 154569

Peter Quinn
06-28-2010, 7:27 PM
Think like a night club. Its easier to keep unwanted guests out at the door than to remove them once inside. Try sealing the maple end grain with shellac prior to sanding. Shellac is easy to remove with denatured alcohol or ammonia later if desired and it my keep the blood wood from staining it. Plus it is easy to sand as a sealer coat.

Brian Greb
06-28-2010, 7:33 PM
Think like a night club. Its easier to keep unwanted guests out at the door than to remove them once inside. Try sealing the maple end grain with shellac prior to sanding. Shellac is easy to remove with denatured alcohol or ammonia later if desired and it my keep the blood wood from staining it. Plus it is easy to sand as a sealer coat.

+1 to what Peter said

Bill Huber
06-28-2010, 7:34 PM

I guess I could seal it even before I glue it up, right?

I just never even thought of sealing the wood like that.

Thanks.

Tom Esh
06-28-2010, 8:26 PM
I get along better with a sharp low angle block plane and scraper. No sanding after assembly. With shellac I found it difficult not to sand through and defeat the whole purpose.

Mitchell Andrus
06-28-2010, 9:15 PM
blood wood gets into the end grain of the maple and I could not get it out.

Leeches.

Tom Scott
06-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Block plane. Shavings...no dust.

Mark Major
06-29-2010, 5:44 AM
+1 for Mitchell's idea :D lol

Mark

Bill Huber
06-29-2010, 9:05 AM
Leeches.

I never thought of that, and I had a jar of nice live ones setting on the shelf.
I will know next time.:D

Prashun Patel
06-29-2010, 9:38 AM
How about a bottom cleaning or spiral bit with a router? Sometimes that's how I get inlays very close to flush. Then it's easy to use a plane or chisel.

I wonder if it would have been possible to cut the maple ends with slightly longer 'fingers' so that when sanding, you're really sanding off the the maple end grain, and not the bloodwood.

PS: Nice box! I hardly notice the beautymark you speak of.

Rick Markham
06-29-2010, 10:24 AM
I know is is caused by the oils of the bloodwood, bleeding into the maple. Does anyone know if this continues after finishing? Bill it is really a spectacular box!

Mitchell Andrus
06-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Wood bleach on a Q-tip? Serious.