PDA

View Full Version : Dogwood chunk

Mike Cruz
06-28-2010, 4:55 PM
Well, while at the local dump this weekend, I saw a guy with a trailerful of wood that I thought he wanted to get rid of. So, I asked if he was planning on trashing it. Nope, he replied, this is on its way to the campgrounds for firewood. Ohhhhhh, I replied, too bad, there's some nice turning wood in there. Help yourself he added!

I didn't want to be greedy (:rolleyes:) so I only picked one piece. Not sure if it would be anything worth while to turn, or if this guy was right about it being firewood... It is 27 inches tall, 13 inches at the base, and 20 inches across the long way at the top.

If anyone locally wants to come by an teach me how to map this thing out, I'd love the help and would be more than happy to share the log with you. Heck, take the best piece. I'd love the lesson.

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2010, 5:14 PM
Mike - congrats on your wood find! Not sure what you will have once you cut it up but I am afraid that you will find bark inclusions between all the trunks and not any crotch wood. Won't know until you cut into it!

Judging by all the checking on the ends - you may end up losing a lot of the ends also!

John Hart
06-28-2010, 6:09 PM
I agree...that heavy checking is going to be problematic...but there in the center..just might be a masterpiece waiting to be uncovered.

Allen Neighbors
06-28-2010, 6:23 PM
I agree, also, and you might also find something for a really nice small lidded box, too. If you chase threads, Dogwood really takes some nice threads.
Good going.!! :)

David E Keller
06-28-2010, 6:26 PM
Congrats on the free wood. If I were to cut it up, I'd start by getting rid of all of the checking. Once you've cut back to stable wood, I'd probably split the crotch in half by cutting through the pith of the branches. The bark inclusions will add to the finished piece IMHO as long as they don't destroy the integrity of the wood for turning. If you're lucky you might end up with a couple of nice platter/shallow bowl blanks. Let us know what you find inside it.

Mike Cruz
06-28-2010, 8:09 PM
Thanks, guys. You have me drooling. I REALLY want someone local to come over and plan this out with me. Anyone, anyone, Beuller....Beuller....

Jake Helmboldt
06-28-2010, 9:49 PM
Mike, do you turn pens or bottle stoppers? Dogwood has some beuatiful color and you can get it to spalt as well. Hard wood, it also makes great tool handles for chisels and other hand tools.

Mike Cruz
06-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Jake, at the moment, I don't "do" anything yet. :D I'm just getting into turning. I got an old Delta Lathe from the 40's. As part of my cleaning up/sprucing up the old girl, I got a 1 HP motor, and a different 4 stage pulley that will actually slow her turn rate down a tad.

I'm taking a turning class this weekend for bowls. I've done some spindle turning in the past, but bowls will be a new bird for me. I will not likely do pens, but stoppers are a real posibility. I've made stoppers before, but not with a lathe...just by hand with a belt sander.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that this chunk may have some spalting in it. I'm looking forward to opening it up!