PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Rick Markham
06-28-2010, 4:21 PM
Not quite the pick up load full that I see a bunch of y'all with. But 23.5 bf of 8/4 Curly Maple and 19.5 bf of Sipo Mahogany. They were both individual boards, which required me to cut them so I could manage the transportation and "manipulation" of them lol.

The sipo is going to be cut into "posts" for a dresser I am building, and the Curly maple is going to be resawn for 1" drawer fronts. I was planning on bookmatching each individual drawer, however, since the board is 11.75" wide, I guess I will be "bookmatching" the drawers with each other.

I am super excited to saw into the Maple (This is my first big resaw with the new Laguna), but have to be patient, I am working on the carcass now, taking my time and enjoying the process. I am milling all of my lumber using handplanes, and will be doing the vast majority of the joinery by hand as well.

I will be sharing later, I figure y'all aren't real interested in seeing pictures of piles of handplane shavings from flattening 18" wide Red Oak panels I am making for the carcass :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/001-1.jpg

Gary Muto
06-29-2010, 6:49 AM
Great find. Sounds like you have a good plan too.

David Nelson1
06-29-2010, 7:03 AM
Not quite the pick up load full that I see a bunch of y'all with. But 23.5 bf of 8/4 Curly Maple and 19.5 bf of Sipo Mahogany. They were both individual boards, which required me to cut them so I could manage the transportation and "manipulation" of them lol.

The sipo is going to be cut into "posts" for a dresser I am building, and the Curly maple is going to be resawn for 1" drawer fronts. I was planning on bookmatching each individual drawer, however, since the board is 11.75" wide, I guess I will be "bookmatching" the drawers with each other.

I am super excited to saw into the Maple (This is my first big resaw with the new Laguna), but have to be patient, I am working on the carcass now, taking my time and enjoying the process. I am milling all of my lumber using handplanes, and will be doing the vast majority of the joinery by hand as well.

I will be sharing later, I figure y'all aren't real interested in seeing pictures of piles of handplane shavings from flattening 18" wide Red Oak panels I am making for the carcass :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/001-1.jpg
Good deal for you. I'm into those pickup truck loads for now. After I finish the flooring job I'll be back to buying in much smaller quanties.

Rick Markham
06-29-2010, 10:20 AM
I wish I had room for a pick up load! Unfortunately I don't have the room... I need to buy a bigger house LOL

Will Overton
06-29-2010, 10:46 AM
I wish I had room for a pick up load! Unfortunately I don't have the room... I need to buy a bigger house LOL

Get a few truck loads and build that bigger house. ;)

Rick Markham
06-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Will sounds like a great idea... however I would need a house to live in this century. My woodworking get done on "my time" which I seem to have less and less of :D