PDA

View Full Version : My very first goblet

Bob Wolfe
06-28-2010, 4:20 PM
Here's my first attempt at a goblet. It was done as our club's challenge this month. Last month's demo was turning a long stem goblet out of a green log. This started as a small chunk of fresh cut maple I was given and I had been soaking it in water for some time to keep it good and wet. The design on the bowl was created with a sorby mini spiral / texturing tool. It was sanded sanded along the way down to 400 with wax & mineral oil then finished with more wax after it dried a few days in a paper sack.

I really enjoyed this project and will be turning more of them in the future. The most challenging part was hollowing the inside of the bowl. I dared not make the stem any thinner on this one, because I thought it would break. Hard and honest comments and critiques are welcome and encouraged. Thanks for looking.
Bob

Tim Rinehart
06-28-2010, 4:27 PM
Good first goblet, you should watch ... emphasize word "watch" ... Jimmy Clewes do a long stem without supporting the end.

To that, I would say proportions are off with this, but would definitely help to have a longer stem. I don't know any magic numbers, but for that one pictured, it would be at least twice the height of the cup portion.

Now, that being said...in my head, I'm thinking maybe by extending the height of the cup portion, leaving the stem fairly short may look good too...haven't seen one recently, but worth exploring.

Nice job on the texturing. I have one of those tools and haven't mastered it yet.

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2010, 5:22 PM
Bob - congrats on your first goblet! Overall - you did a really nice job!

Really good looking wood and I like your detail work! Just me, but I would not use mineral oil for a finish because it never dries. A good Danish oil or poly would bring out the color of the wood and allow for a nice sheen to the finished surface.

As Tim mentioned - proportions are always something to play with and to a large degree are a matter of personal taste. Check out the Golden Rule on Google, or Phi - basically the rule of thirds, and it will give you a lot of info as to ideal form.

Most important thing is you got your first goblet finished! Congrats on that! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

John Keeton
06-28-2010, 5:47 PM
Bob, I have done three goblets, so I am far from an expert. And, none of those were one piece turnings, so you have surpassed my level of accomplishment!!

Likewise, I have never tried any texturing with a tool. I will say that with the complexity of the maple I probably would have let the wood speak without embellishment. But, again, that is personal taste. The maple is very nice on its own, and I tend to like embellishments on otherwise unremarkable wood.

The proportions have already been mentioned. You should know, however, that you did an excellent job with the details, and tool control/technique. The turning is well executed, and you should be proud of it.

David E Keller
06-28-2010, 6:39 PM
Nice work. The textured area looks really good... The detail is crisp and nicely proportioned. I like the coloring of the wood, but I agree that some type of oil soak might have enhanced the coloring even more.

As for the stem length, I think a little more length would be an improvement for a goblet, or as Tim suggested, a larger cup area would turn it into a vase form and the stem could be even shorter.

There's nothing wrong with it the way it is... It's a very nice looking goblet.

Thomas Canfield
06-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Looks good to me for 1st goblet, and the texture adds something different. I had a problem on my first cutting base from tendon stock. My second went better, but I've decided that I need to practice on the hollowing end with a short stem several times and then go to a longer stem, and have the green Bradford Pear currently todo that - just need time.

John Hart
06-29-2010, 6:29 AM
The turning of all the individual components of the goblet are all good. When viewing as a whole piece, the dimensions just don't fit quite right as mentioned...but when viewing just the base...very nice...stem...very nice.....main body...very nice. :)

Bob Wolfe
06-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for all your encouragement guys. It means a lot to me that you each took time to give thoughtful and honest (I hope) C &C. I will pay a lot more attention to proportions on my future turnings. I got carried away with the bowl part and by the time I got finished with it, I don't think there was more than 1/2" extra wood left. In other words, I didn't plan very well and it still would have been out of proportion. There is more wood in the pile so I'll keep at it. Take care.

Bob

Paul Douglass
06-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Never made a goblet so I can't critic. I like the look because the wood makes it look antique and in my mind goblet sounds old and heavy.