PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 60 (or other dust/chip collection)

Jim Tobias
06-28-2010, 3:50 PM
What has anyone done to improve dust/chip collection on their Powermatic 60 (8") joiner? I have a 6" line connected on the front end. This is connected along with other machines to an Oneida 3hp cyclone.
I seem to get a ton of small curls/dust coming from under the joiner when I am using it. I was wondering if I have too many open spaces around the base (where the unit sits on the cabinet. Has anyone closed off those and gotten better collection?

Thanks for any advice.

Jim

Chip Lindley
06-28-2010, 6:10 PM
Jim, check to see that the chip chute of your #60 is totally enclosed. If it is open on top, you are sucking too much air and not enough chips. I had to add a top on my Delta DJ20 chute to make DC a reality!

If an open-top chute is not the problem, there may be a wad of chips plugging it just beneath the cutterhead. Relieve this tangle and your Oneida should be plenty to remove shavings as they are produced. Running the jointer disconnected from your DC for only a minute is enough to plug the chip chute. Beware!

Matt Meiser
06-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Its not you, my PM50 which is pretty much the same design does the same. It seem that the chips get thrown away from the chute and a fair number bounce out. I've not looked to see if there's a reasonable way to install a deflector to guide them. Its better with more airflow since installing my new cyclone.