PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Chicago In a couple weeks

Nathan Hawkes
06-28-2010, 2:56 PM
Any creekers out there in Chicago near the West Town area?? I'll be visiting Chicago the second week in July, and would love to meet up and say hey. I already contacted the local AAW chapter, Chicago woodturners, and sent a couple emails to their board members, but also wanted to post something here in case there are any of you that aren't listed on the AAW website.

Nathan Hawkes
07-02-2010, 2:37 PM
BUMP!

Nobody on SC is from Chicago??

Bob Bergstrom
07-02-2010, 4:36 PM
Nathan There now three clubs in the Chicago land area. Chicago Wood Turners meetings are held the second Tuesday of each month at the Friendship Village of Schaumburg. It is located at 350 W. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg, Illinois. Meetings start at 7:00 PM and usually last until 9:30 PM. Windy City Woodturners meet in Downers Grove's works building on the third Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm. A new club The Illiana Woodturners meet on the 2nd. Monday of the month at the South Suburban Wood Carvers Museum in South Holland. They have open shop from 5 to 6:45 and meetings starting at 7:00 pm. I'm in the far south suburbs by I-80 and close to Indiana border. Do you know what suburb you will be in.

Nathan Hawkes
07-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi Bob! I've already been in touch with the folks from Chicago Wood Turners; I'm working on getting a ride to their meeting, which I'll be in town for on Tuesday the 13th! South Holland is a good distance away, I think. My friend lives in the West Town area, in the "Ukranian Village" area. Is there a website for the Illiana Woodturners? I didn't see that one when I did a search on the AAW. Maybe I overlooked it. So tell me about the wood carvers museum? That may be something I need to check out!

Bob Bergstrom
07-03-2010, 4:26 PM
The Carvers Museum at one time had 200 members. As with all things, we get older and lose some of our steam. It is still a great place with some of the best carvings in Chicago. It is open on Tues. Thurs. and Sat. mornings. They have a full workshop and it is open to members of the carvers club and a special interest group of turners. The turners are new and in the process of applying for A.A.W membership. So far we have about 22 members. The club's mission is hands on turning. With the workshop, everyone gets to participate and use all the equipment.:)

Jeff Myroup
08-03-2010, 1:54 PM
The Carvers Museum at one time had 200 members. As with all things, we get older and lose some of our steam. It is still a great place with some of the best carvings in Chicago. It is open on Tues. Thurs. and Sat. mornings. They have a full workshop and it is open to members of the carvers club and a special interest group of turners. The turners are new and in the process of applying for A.A.W membership. So far we have about 22 members. The club's mission is hands on turning. With the workshop, everyone gets to participate and use all the equipment.:)

Hi Bob,

I have been looking for an AAW club close to home. I live in Hammond. Could you send me the info for Illiana Woodturners. I will PM you all my contact info. Thanks

Jeff

Carl Miller
08-03-2010, 8:53 PM
The Chicago Wood Turners are having a symposium starting on Friday the 20th and going into Sunday. There will be world class turners doing lots of demos. You can schedule 1 day tickets. Check their web site. They are a great group of people.