PDA

View Full Version : Grizz Low end planer question

Michael McCoy
12-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Good Morning Folks - I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm looking at the two lower end Grizzly 12 1/2 planers (G8794 and 0505) and am trying to see if anyone has any direct experience with either of these two machines. I've lurked here enough to have seen the pros/cons bigger/better discussions :) but am seeking input on models in this class.

Thanks,

Mike

Scott Coffelt
12-01-2004, 12:03 PM
I have not personally had direct experience with either of these machines, but I can tell you my exerience with one I think would be very close. I had a Reliant 12" Planer for about 6-8 years. It served me very well and I sold it for around $100. You will experience more snipe with these than the more expensive planers, but you can overcome some of this by technique and also by building a longer table that you run through the bottom to keep the wood at the same level all the way through.

I also have three Grizzly tools - cabinet saw, 17" bandsaw and their 12" disk sander. The bigger items are of better fit and finish, but all three work as they should.

I see no reason why the small planers won't live up to the billing, knowing that they are not high end planers. Go for it.

Dan Stuewe
12-01-2004, 12:22 PM
After taking a quick look at the two you listed on Grizzly's web site I'd like to throw out the Ryobi 13". It goes for $250 at Home Depot which is right in the range of these two and has one feature that the Grizzly's lack - a cutter head lock. It also seems to have more bells and whistles than these two from Grizzly (on board storage, dust collection hood and thickness gauges). I've found a few reviews online (eopinions and Ryobi's web forums) and I've heard that it has been labeled as Best Buy by some of the magazines. I do not have this planer (or, for that matter, any planer), but it is the one on my Christmas list.

Bart Leetch
12-01-2004, 12:32 PM
I have the Grizzly G1017 which Grizzly doesn't sell anymore it doesn't have a head lock system.

Go to this URL http://www.woodisourart.com/planer/planer.htm & set your portable planer up as directed & you shouldn't have any problems with snipe I don't since I set my planer up this way. :)

Michael McCoy
12-01-2004, 1:28 PM
Thanks gents. I guess I was also looking for some confirmation that the "portables" did a fair job. My main use will planing out small stock that's been resawed for scroll work.

Thanks again.

Bart Leetch
12-04-2004, 12:19 AM
You can go here & Grizzly is still selling the G1017 planer which is a very good little planer. :)

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/items-list.cfm?key=490010&listtype=group&

Keith Outten
12-04-2004, 3:01 AM
Michael,

You might consider a small drum sander for finishing thin stock after resawing. If material for scroll work is what you are looking to machine the Jet 10/20 drum sander is a nice machine and will provide you with a smoother surface than a planer. I resaw and then sand both wood and Corian to make thin stock for inlay work, my planer is normally only used to surface thick lumber.

For scroll stock I think you might be much happier with a drum sander. One of our members recently did a review of the Jet 10/20" drum sander, a search of our forums will provide you with his review and comments. I own the same sander, it is an excellent machine.