PDA

View Full Version : Old Power Tools

Lou Keniley
06-28-2010, 11:52 AM
I have some questions re: some power tools...any info including approximate value, opinions, etc. I am in New Mexico. My father-in-law has left me some power tools. They are in Toronto. My best guess is that they are 50-60 years old, all in immaculate condition and in excellent working order. The first is a band saw, Beaver/Westinghouse produced in the Callender Foundry in Guelph, Ontario. The westinghouse model is 1F0995, 1/4 HP, 1725 RPM. The next is a Delta Milwaukee drill press and the only info on it is serial number 54-6124. The third, which I am not sure is as old is a Sears Craftsman grinder, model 397.19580, design C2371, 1/3HP, 3450 RPM. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lou Keniley
lkeniley@gmail.com

Gary Radice
06-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Others might chime in but my first suggestion would be to try the forum at OWWM.org (Old WoodWorking Machines). Post your query in "The Shop." They'd love to hear from you. Just don't ask them for appraisals of what the machines are worth, since they can't/don't do appraisals.

Jim Andrew
06-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Seeing that this is your first post, you probably aren't a woodworker. In which case, I'd probably just contact a local auctioneer and have the tools appraised. If you are a woodworker, seems like it would be quite an adventure to just get a trailer and go get the tools and move them home. Of course, you would want to make sure you aren't overloaded as the cops love to see out of state vehicles dragging overweight loads. Jim

mike holden
06-29-2010, 6:43 AM
Lou,
between the customs duty and the gas for the trip, you will pay more than the tools are worth. What is the sentimental value? Only you can say, so let your heart be your guide.

Mike