PDA

View Full Version : Old King-Seely BS problem

Randall Clark
06-28-2010, 9:51 AM
My 12" Craftsman King-Seely Bandsaw is doing something that I consider odd--although I am somewhat new to bandsaws. I can get the top wheel (recently changed tire) to rotate the blade exactly in the middle; however, the bottom wheel rides the blade toward the front. There is no adjustment that I can see to the bottom wheel, but there must be some way to get it to ride on the center of the tire. Anybody? Please educate me.

Lance Norris
06-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Search here for coplainer or various spellings of such

glenn bradley
06-28-2010, 10:05 AM
A good bandsaw book or an trial subscription to Fine Woodworking Online is a great source for any bandsaw owner. First, don't get too hung up on where the blade rides on the wheel (more on that in the books) but, I generally like to see it about the same on both wheels. This is what people are talking about when they discuss bandsaw wheels being co-planer.

The top wheel generally tilts in and out to control blade position but, in an sort of 'neutral' state, the wheel "faces" should lie in the same plane. Adjustments for this usually involve shimming one wheel or the other to position it more or less forward on the axle. This is a very simplified discussion and a good book or other reference material will serve you well for this issue and increase how much you enjoy your saw going forward.

Nelson Howe
06-28-2010, 10:23 AM
The instructions I have read in Mark Duginske's book will have you unplug the saw, tension the blade you use the most and get it to track as best you can (wider blades can change the alignment of the wheels when tensioned properly compared to narrower ones). Then, with the doors opened (and you may have to remove the table--though I didn't on mine), hold a straight edge across the rims of your wheels as close to center as you can. You have coplaner tracking if the straight edge touches the tops and bottoms of both wheels at the same time. If it doesn't, you measure the difference and shim one wheel in or out to correct it.

I haven't had a lot of luck finding the right size washers at the hardware store for shimming, but you can start there. Iturra Design sells a shim kit, which I have not tried. It's $10. (904) 642-2802

Nelson

Gary Radice
06-28-2010, 12:19 PM
You can also try crowning the lower tire (ideally both should be crowned). That draws the blade to the peak of the crown as it rotates.

Phil Thien
06-29-2010, 9:43 AM
Note that in Duginske's book, he will note (and I have noticed this as well) that when the wheels are coplanar, a blade tracking in the middle of the top wheel will track forward on the bottom wheel.

Myk Rian
06-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Use washers to shim the wheels.

Josiah Bartlett
06-30-2010, 3:22 AM
Did it track ok before you changed the tire? Most non-delta style bandsaws need to have the tires crowned after they are installed. Deltas have crowned wheels, but a lot of other older iron doesn't. My Walker Turner had about the same problem when I got it. The crown was worn out of the top tire. Recrowning it fixed it right up.

Randall Clark
07-14-2010, 2:08 PM
I will try shimming with washers. It did not track properly when I got it. I don't think crowning the tires is the answer. The wheels are not "coplanar" (strange word). I will let you know if I am successful. Thank you again for your help.

Pete Bradley
07-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Reality check. Does the saw work? Is the band perpendicular to the table?

Where the band tracks on the bottom wheel isn't particularly important as long as it stays on. If the machine works well, don't mess with it.

Pete

Curt Harms
07-15-2010, 9:39 AM
Reality check. Does the saw work? Is the band perpendicular to the table?

Where the band tracks on the bottom wheel isn't particularly important as long as it stays on. If the machine works well, don't mess with it.

Pete

I think that is good and oft ignored advice.