PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Blade Speed

Dan Stuewe
12-01-2004, 1:53 AM
I was at the Orange County WW show a few weeks ago and noticed at one of the demos using a General contractors saw (I'm pretty sure about it being a General, it was green) that the blade speed is quite a bit faster than my direct drive Craftsman (induction motor). Maybe it was the power or expertise of the guy doing the demo, but it seemed to cut much quicker than my saw. Now it could be simply the gulf in quality between the two saws, but I took a quick look and found quite a range of blade speeds in contractor and cabinet saws (3000, 3450, 4000 to 4200 RPM).

I haven't noticed this feature being discussed when table saws are review in the magazines. So, are there any thoughts on benefits of one speed over another?

Michael Perata
12-01-2004, 2:46 AM
Ideally you would have a saw with variable speeds, a bevy of blades with different tooth configurations and a power feeder to provide a constant feed rate.

Practically speaking you try to get the most powerful (3 - 5 HP) saw you can afford with a good rip AND cross cut blade. The stall power of the motor allows a variety of stock to be fed at rates the blades can accommodate.

Two saws having the same stall characteristics, but with different blade speeds will cut the same if the feed rate is adjusted. Doesn't make much of difference in a shop where only a couple of boards are cut a day, but blade speed makes a world of difference in a production shop running hundreds of BF of stock through a saw daily.

Dave Wright #2
12-01-2004, 6:54 AM
Higher blade speed = faster cutting and smoother finish. Lower blade speed = better torque to handle thicker cuts in tougher stock and less risk of burning sensitive woods like Cherry and Maple.

Older Delta contractor saws ran at 4000 RPM. About a dozen years ago they switched to 3000 RPM. That's about when I bought my Delta. I was a little confused during assembly because the pulley sizes I was shipped didn't match the ones in the manual pictures. The saw works great though. A 1 1/2 HP saw run at 3000 RPM can make the same stock as 2 HP 4000 RPM saw except that you have to feed a little more slowly.

IMO 1 - 2 HP saws are best run at 3000 RPM. 3 HP & up saws are best at 4000 RPM because they have plenty of torque so smoothness of cut and feed speed become priorities.