PDA

View Full Version : Maintainance for turning tools

David E Keller
06-27-2010, 9:25 PM
I've been wondering what kind of routine you all may have for maintaining your turning gear. I found this thread from a few months back about keeping the ways smooth and shiny.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=135259&highlight=lathe+maintainance.

I'm wondering what else I should be doing with my lathe, chucks, grinder, etc.

Looking forward to learning a thing or two.

Harvey Ghesser
06-27-2010, 9:46 PM
David,

I got this tip from Don Geiger...I use Balistol on my lathe. It's a mineral oil plus some other additives that works wonders. Do a google search. The stuff is amazing! I used to use WD-40. This stuff was invented 100 years ago in Germany and is used to clean guns. After a few applications, it forms an invisible coating that really protects. I've been turning wet woods lately without the rust as I had when I used WD-40.

It's the only stuff I'll ever use from now on.

Harv

Steve Schlumpf
06-27-2010, 11:03 PM
David - in addition to keeping the lathe bed clean, I also take my Talon chuck apart and clean and lube it. I use graphite powder as a lubricant for the chuck and it makes a huge difference in how smooth the chuck operates!

Other than that, I also use the green scratch pads to keep my tool rests and gouges clean. Sure doesn't take much to create a gunky buildup on the back of a gouge!