PDA

View Full Version : My PC Case Project

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-27-2010, 9:09 PM
I have built many computer cases. Most out of plastic. I wanted to build a nice one out of exotic wood but decided to build a prototye first.

I had a bunch of 3/4" Particle board and some 1/2" MDF and decided to use that.

The PC board I am using is a Zoltac mini ITX board with a Dual 3Ghz proc, Window 7 and 2 GB of ram. Its plenty power to play full 1920x1080P movies. Im using a micro ATX power supply. No DVD player as I use my File server for that. Only a wireless keyboard with pad.

The computer connections are all inside the case and hidden. Lots of dominos when into this one.

The top is held in place by small blocks inside the case while the bottom is held in place by the four legs, which are removable by sliding them off the dominos. Small hidden pins lock them in place.

As this was going to be a prototype I didnt count on using it real piece. In the end I decided to try some Generals Milk Paint and glaze effects. It turned out very well. I decide to make this one my shop computer while I worked on the solid wood version.

Art Mulder
06-27-2010, 9:49 PM
Hang on... are you saying that 3rd photo is the same box as the first two!? :confused: Looks slick!

I'd like to see the back and bottom. How is it for airflow? Have you checked the CPU temperature?

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-27-2010, 9:55 PM
Yep same box. This is pretty easy to do when you can assemble the box and work with it throuout the project. I could not have done it without my Festool Domino.

Van Huskey
06-27-2010, 9:57 PM
That is a very cool idea! Can't wait to see the "real" once 'cause the proto is awesome.

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-27-2010, 10:36 PM
There are some changes I will make from the prototype.

First I sized this one perfect for the MotherBoard and powersupply. This time I am going to add some wiggle room so I can try a few more things. The new size will add 1 inch to all dimensions. This will make it 14.25 x 11.5 x 6.

Next is the dominos that wer put into the myters. Dominos are great but unfortionatly they dont do exposed dominos very well. Since the edges of the domino are fluted they dont make a good look when flush cut. I need to hide the dominos or leave them extending like on the prototype.

While a grounded frame is not neassary I want to investigate a alumnime sheet under the motherboard and powersupply.

David Cefai
06-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Very nice case. Do you not get heating problems? From the photos you posted there does not seem to be much provision for ventilation.

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-28-2010, 1:56 AM
There is a fan on the bottom and a access hole in the back. The inside devider has vent holes so you get a nice cross ventilation for the CPU, MCP and GPU. I ran a 100%load strss test and the cores dont go above 46c. Which is pretty darn good.

I have included a couple new pics.

paul cottingham
06-28-2010, 2:18 AM
A grounded frame will make the system more stable. Computers get reference ground from the case.

The build is very cool!

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-28-2010, 2:40 AM
Thats not true any more. The ground is now transfered via just about every cable on the power supply. Every single big honking black wire goes directly to the ground plug.

Many of the newer smaller cases dont even have metal frames anymore. The main advantage of a enclosed metal frame is for sheilding the outside world from the electronic noise inside your PC.

I am sitting in a room right now with 7 PCs all enclosed in cases I built. Two of them are on 24/7. They are my file servers. My main developmen machine is a Quad 975 Extream running at 4Ghz. It utilizes a water cooler and is built out of 100% 100 acrylic.

All the others are out of 1/8" MDF or acrylic or some combination. The only thing thats metal are the #6 machine screes connecting the mother board to the standoffs.

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-28-2010, 3:03 AM
Here are a couple more PC builds.

John Downey
06-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Now this I had to log in to see :D

Nice work!