PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat...

Tim Rinehart
06-27-2010, 8:14 PM
Well, Saturday morning I got in my tool rests from Jeff Nicol, a 12" and 6" for the 3520B and a 6" for the Delta VS Midi.:D:D

Jeff does a fantastic job on the manufacture and finish of these tools, and ergonomically...they're perfection!
I roughed out a dozen walnut blanks today in preparation for xmas gifts...(gotta start early), and didn't even realize when I was unconsciously resting my arm in the crook of the rest. Ahhhhh, such control as I've not had with the stock rest. It naturally helps keep the hand from the 'danger zone' beyond the tool rest, and the hardened rod is one nice slick surface to glide your tools across.

Jeff was gracious enough to fill the box space with some nice pieces of siberian elm, maple, spalted maple and box elder blanks. Class act, all the way. Can't say enough good things about my initial experience, but I suspect that's the consistent theme, from others reaction on this board.

Thanks again Jeff, one extremely satisfied customer here!!

John Keeton
06-27-2010, 8:16 PM
Tim, Jeff is first rate!! I recently posted similar rests he made for my Delta - great work! Congrats!

David E Keller
06-27-2010, 8:17 PM
Nice looking rests. I believe your experience with Jeff is par for the course... I've never heard a bad word about the guy, and my dealings with him have been fantastic.

Leo Van Der Loo
06-27-2010, 9:38 PM
Yes those are certainly good looking toolrests Tim, and you got a few pretty pieces of wood on the side, Jeff did right for sure :-))

Steve Schlumpf
06-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Tim - congrats on your new tool rests! Sure look like they would be comfortable to use!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of the wood Jeff included!

Roger Chandler
06-28-2010, 9:31 AM
I just might have to get a couple made for my Grizzly G0698 18 x47. I like the natural curvature that allows the hand to comfortably rest on the body and the drill rod on the top [would eliminate having to file the top of the rests]

Thom Sturgill
06-28-2010, 9:35 AM
Nice Tim. I have some of the robust rests, these appear larger. Has anyone used both? how do they compare?

Tim Rinehart
06-28-2010, 9:52 AM
I just might have to get a couple made for my Grizzly G0698 18 x47. I like the natural curvature that allows the hand to comfortably rest on the body and the drill rod on the top [would eliminate having to file the top of the rests]

Roger, besides not having to file the top, that surface really does glide well against your tool. I suspect the material is hardened drill rod, which holds up well against the hard angles and forces presented by some of our tools. I think we'll find that eventually, everyone will adapt to this once they try it, it just makes more sense and makes turning that much easier.

Allen Neighbors
06-28-2010, 10:31 AM
These look like they'd be a dream to use, for sure! Nice wood, too. Have fun. Stay safe. :)

Tony De Masi
06-28-2010, 4:16 PM
Congrats. Can't wait for mine to come in too.

Tony