PDA

View Full Version : Burnt bowl

Mike Minto
06-27-2010, 7:55 PM
Not much, just a small bowl (of course, i've forgotten what kind of wood) burned and wiped with poly. Buffed with Tripoli, that's all, folks. About 5x2.5 or so. Wife thinks it looks cat-like. Sorry - AGAIN - for the lousy photog.

David E Keller
06-27-2010, 8:13 PM
I like the coloring. Ash is a possibility on the wood with the wide rings. It seems like the finish is a little spotty... Does the burning change the way the wood accepts a finish?

Mike Minto
06-27-2010, 8:17 PM
David, no, I don't think so - I think I was impatient, and didn't sand enough. May call for a re-do. :o

Tim Rinehart
06-27-2010, 8:17 PM
I like the coloring. Ash is a possibility on the wood with the wide rings. It seems like the finish is a little spotty... Does the burning change the way the wood accepts a finish?

"Ash is a possibility"...well, yea...it was almost the result!

Nice bowl Mike, I like the effect.

John Keeton
06-27-2010, 8:32 PM
Ash or elm would be my guesses, with ash being the first choice.

Mike, I like the burned look, but I think it requires either a completely matt finish or a built up glossy finish to really show well, and that is going to be tough with the knots, etc.

Steve Schlumpf
06-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Mike - I like the contrast in colors and think that a bowl that is 'browned' instead of burnt might look pretty cool!

Cathy Schaewe
06-28-2010, 10:37 AM
I've been interested in the "burned" pieces I've seen, but haven't yet come across any detailed information on how to do it. Can you give a brief description? Or can somebody post a link? Thanks -

Mike Minto
06-28-2010, 12:15 PM
I've been interested in the "burned" pieces I've seen, but haven't yet come across any detailed information on how to do it. Can you give a brief description? Or can somebody post a link? Thanks -

Cathy, this is not very detailed, but then I don't think the process too complicated, either (unless I'm missing something, which is always possible :o). After sanding (or not) a piece, I just take a propane torch and burn the surface of the form as much as I care to - could be a little, just to bring out grain features, or enough to cause some real damage - which may be desired, as well. Just be careful not to burn yourself with the torch - or the form, which will get very hot. Careful where you set the form until it cools, too. Hope this helps.

John Hart
06-28-2010, 12:49 PM
"Ash is a possibility"...well, yea...it was almost the result!.

That was funny.:)

Cool effect on the bowl Mike. I'm not sure what "cat-like" means....self-cleaning? I also like that hollowvase you have in the background.

Rob Cunningham
06-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Cool looking bowl Mike. The wood seems to have a reddish tint, what color was it before you put the torch to it?

Mike Minto
06-28-2010, 1:04 PM
Cool looking bowl Mike. The wood seems to have a reddish tint, what color was it before you put the torch to it?

Rob, Kind of a light yellow/white, almost creamy color; that's why I thought burning it would change it's look considerably. I think I'll re-sand and re-burn it, though, after seeing the photos here.

David DeCristoforo
06-28-2010, 1:06 PM
I used to burn a lot of wood. And not just for heat. Propane torch just like you said. But I used to burn much "deeper" and then wire brush the wood to get rid of the "charcoal". This would not only "color" the wood but also create a deep texture since the soft rings would burn more than the hard rings. But the one thing I never liked was lightly burning the surface and then laying a finish over the blackened wood. Looks like one of those 70's style (if you can call it "style") ship hatch tables. Yeech! This is probably not a very gracious way of offering "constructive criticism" but I'm sick as a dog today so I'm giving myself a lot of slack...

Mike Minto
06-28-2010, 2:52 PM
I used to burn a lot of wood. And not just for heat. Propane torch just like you said. But I used to burn much "deeper" and then wire brush the wood to get rid of the "charcoal". This would not only "color" the wood but also create a deep texture since the soft rings would burn more than the hard rings. But the one thing I never liked was lightly burning the surface and then laying a finish over the blackened wood. Looks like one of those 70's style (if you can call it "style") ship hatch tables. Yeech! This is probably not a very gracious way of offering "constructive criticism" but I'm sick as a dog today so I'm giving myself a lot of slack...

Well, David, there's only one thing to say to that - get well soon.

Keith Burns
06-28-2010, 2:56 PM
A very nice form on the bowl Mike, well done. I like the burt effect as well. Will be curious to se it after the refinish.

David DeCristoforo
06-28-2010, 4:37 PM
"...there's only one thing to say to that - get well soon..."

Well you could always say something like "Screw you!". But I got an appt. with the doc tomorrow AM which will result, I'm sure, in the administering of an antibiotic that will knock the tar out of this bug. Then I'll have to go back and apologize to everyone for being such a curmudgeon today. Oh well...