PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Vase, Gift for Wood

Mike Minto
06-27-2010, 7:49 PM
A neighbor down the street took down a small cherry tree, and I asked if I could have some of it (naturally :o). Told him I'd make him a bowl, or something. He's probably forgotten about it, but this week I'll give this to him. About 10x3, wipe-on poly; will be 3 wheel buffed with Ren wax.

James Combs
06-27-2010, 8:04 PM
Cherry, one of my favorite woods. Love it for pens and toys and looks great as a vase too. Real nice Mike.

David E Keller
06-27-2010, 8:10 PM
That'a pretty. It has a nice shape, and the wood has a lot of color.

John Keeton
06-27-2010, 8:42 PM
Very nice work on the vase, Mike, and that cherry is beautiful.

BUT, I am concerned about the drab shop stool that you appear to be using for your photography. It shows complete lack of attention and quite honestly, looks neglected.:(

Me, on the other hand.....I loving use my shop stool for EVERYTHING!! This was what it looked like in July 2009 when I did a shop tour thread -
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=123801&thumb=1&d=1248657837 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=123801&d=1248657837)

Of course, now it is an entirely different color/colors - and maybe 1/8" thicker!!:eek::D;) Please show your stool a little more attention!:)

Mike Minto
06-27-2010, 8:52 PM
Very nice work on the vase, Mike, and that cherry is beautiful.

BUT, I am concerned about the drab shop stool ...

John, yes, I see what you mean...I may have to replace mine with a newer model - where did you say you got yours? :D

Leo Van Der Loo
06-27-2010, 9:29 PM
Good job Mike, I bet your neighbor would love to give you another log ;-))

Steve Schlumpf
06-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Beautiful wood Mike! Nice form on your vase! Your neighbor is going to love having this vase! Think of the advertising you are going to get when he tells everyone about where the vase come from!

John Hart
06-28-2010, 7:00 AM
Very nice work Mike. I am uncomfortable with the sharp transition from body to mouth...but that's just a "different strokes" thing. It is very cool.

Hey Keeton...there's a nick in your chair...better sand that out...you might get a splinter.;)

Mike Minto
06-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Very nice work Mike. I am uncomfortable with the sharp transition from body to mouth...but that's just a "different strokes" thing. It is very cool.

Hey Keeton...there's a nick in your chair...better sand that out...you might get a splinter.;)

I understand what you are saying, John, but if all vases looked alike it would be kinda boring.

Allen Neighbors
06-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Great going, Mike. Always give a piece of it back. :D

Tim Rinehart
06-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Good to hear Mike, and I like the piece. I've just had the worst time with cherry, splitting on me as it dries.

On a similar note, I have a good bit of walnut and elm that all came from an older lady on her own.
I have made her a couple pieces, including one that was supposed to be for her son for Christmas last year.

Funny thing, when I saw her recently to get the elm, I asked how her son liked it...well...he wasn't in her graces, so she held out on giving it to him for Christmas...but then sometime in the spring, he did travel to make her birthday...so she forgave him and went ahead and gave him one of the bowls.

I'll be sure to give her something from the elm, perhaps a hollow form this time.

Tom Sherman
06-28-2010, 1:01 PM
A very nice vase Mike, that is surely some great cherry too. Don't fret about the stool, some of us have been blessed/cursed with overly plush posteriers and are uncomfortable with stools but they make great catch alls...:)

Jon Finch
06-28-2010, 1:11 PM
Nice vase Mike. Kicking back to the wood provider is the way it should be.

John, you might wanna visit a gastroenterologist... looks to me like you've got some tail pipe issues.

John Hart
06-28-2010, 1:12 PM
I understand what you are saying, John, but if all vases looked alike it would be kinda boring.

I agree.:)

Bill Bulloch
06-28-2010, 1:16 PM
BUT, I am concerned about the drab shop stool that you appear to be using for your photography. It shows complete lack of attention and quite honestly, looks neglected.:(

- :)

Nice bowl Mike. And in-spite-of what John said about your stool, I like it too. Compared to this 40 year old handmade one I use, yours is a Cadillac.