PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Newb Mistake

Bob Warfield
06-27-2010, 3:44 PM
Was flatening the backs of a few chisels earlier. Although not nearly finished yet I wanted to get oil on them due to the extreme humidity. I learned a very valuable lesson, use a rag to oil your tools not your bare fingers! Yes I did a little pareing on my right index finger. Not bad just enough to learn what not to do.
Thanks and be safe,
Bob Warfield

Jim Koepke
06-27-2010, 7:09 PM
Even when you do these thing everyday, a moment of inattention can bite big time.

Even when wiping with a rag, one needs to be very aware of where the sharp edge is in relation to parts of one's body. Also, to pull the blade across the rag being held as opposed to pushing it.

jim

Joel Goodman
06-27-2010, 8:03 PM
I was handing my son a newly sharpened chisel and while warning him how sharp it was my attention wandered with the inevitable result. I guess I really showed him how sharp it was!

Rick Rutten
06-27-2010, 9:28 PM
I got my first blood bath from a chisel glancing off my finger. Didn't feel the cut but thought I should look and there it was. I think it was my second day working with hand tools. Thanks for the reminder.

Rick

James Taglienti
06-27-2010, 9:57 PM
also don't use chisels for tasks that other tools were made for. I was changing my oil and used a 1" chisel to cut the top off a quart bottle, to make a funnel. I was amazed at how nicely it cut the plastic, and even more amazed when a 2" long canyon appeared on the top of my thumb! my wife immediately went haywire and 4 hours later i was on the couch with a dozen stitches.

it barely even bled!

john brenton
06-28-2010, 10:33 AM
put a massive gouge in my face the other day when a big ol june bug flew right in my face. I was holding a big ol plane iron and the bug scared me half to death. I swear I missed my face by an inch. That would have been really, really bloody.

Kevin Grady
06-28-2010, 11:05 AM
I have a nice permanent crunching feel to my index finger on my left hand from a chisel. I was paring out the waste from a mortise for my new front door, chisel slid through the dead bolt hole and sliced a 4 stitch gash right at the knuckle.

John A. Callaway
06-28-2010, 3:11 PM
I love stitches, tetanus shots, and open wounds. These are not mistakes, they are experiments in healthy tool manipulation in relation to the phalanges, metacarpals, and the epidermis. Some times, If you put the tool in the wrong place, you can see just how efficient your circulatory system works.

My chisel mistake three weeks ago got me five stitches , and a tetanus shot too....!:D

Rick Rutten
06-28-2010, 4:41 PM
At this rate we may soon be approaching the Sawmill Creek version of Patrick Leach's Blood and Gore.

Rick

Mark Roderick
06-28-2010, 4:56 PM
And the worst thing about cutting yourself is the blood on the wood! It stains like the dickens, which means you have to stop work and wait for the bleeding to stop. Many times I've tried to work with a big paper towel wrapped around and around the injured finger, but it's very awkward.

Bill Houghton
06-28-2010, 5:23 PM
Not bad just enough to learn what not to do.

A mistake is stupid the second time you do it. The first time is educational. To quote one of my favorite definitions, "Experience is something it would have been very nice to have, just before you needed it."

When our sons were getting their driver's licenses, I realized that, as a parent, I should want each of them to have a small accident - no injuries, preferably no expensive crunchies (at least not on our cars - their own cars, different matter), no property damage. Just enough to get their attention.

Bob Warfield
06-28-2010, 7:32 PM
Well guys after reading some of these stories I guess I really was lucky. I do take blood thinners every day and bleed like a stuck hog but didn't need stitches.

And Bill my daughter did actually have a minor auto accident her first day of driving. That's been 20 years ago now and I had forgotten all about it!
Thanks and work safe,
Bob Warfield

Steve Branam
06-29-2010, 8:39 AM
And the worst thing about cutting yourself is the blood on the wood! It stains like the dickens, which means you have to stop work and wait for the bleeding to stop. Many times I've tried to work with a big paper towel wrapped around and around the injured finger, but it's very awkward.

Second worst thing is that the smallest little slice never stops bleeding! Last week I just grazed the edge of a finger with a chisel corner, barely even got under the surface, but just wouldn't stop dripping. I keep a first aid kit in the shop, so I immediate stop what I'm doing, wipe it off, and wrap it up in bandaids no matter how minor. Otherwise I start find little red smears on my bench, my work, my shirt.

A box of disposable alcohol wipes and a couple boxes of bandaids will take care of 99% of accidents. Get the fingertip and knuckle bandages as well as the plain ones. Anything more severe is probably worth a trip to the emergency room (and a roll of paper towels).

Jim Rimmer
06-29-2010, 9:54 PM
Paper towels and duct tape - the woodworker's bandage. :D

Bob Glenn
07-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I was demonstrating building Windsor chairs at an eighteenth century reenactment a few years ago and had a large crowd watching my presentation. I had cut my finger and didn't know it, when someone in the crowd said, "Your finger is bleeding." I looked down, and blood was dripping off my finger. :eek: I picked up a wood shaving and wrapped it around the wound to stop the bleeding. A young girl then asked "Is that REAL blood?" The crowd went wild! :D

Rick Rutten
07-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Bob what a funnt story and a good shop tip. A thin wood shaving is a great dressing for a small cut. It is flexible, semi-sterile, absorbent, and has a nice fibrous network to facilitate clotting. And it is very Neander. You could do it with saw dust but the clean out may be a little rugged.

So after the cut were you then working with "Bloodwood?" (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Rick

Roger Newby
07-02-2010, 1:03 PM
Keep some hydrogen peroxide handy. Not for disinfecting the injury but to remove the bloodstain from your project. :rolleyes:

john brenton
07-02-2010, 3:17 PM
The one that always gets me is the gossamer thin slice off the tip of my left index finger when I'm honing. I hone free hand side to side. Somehow it manages to be the longest bleeding cut in history. I'd probably lose the same volume of blood if I just went ahead and chopped my finger off.