PDA

View Full Version : first post on the turning forum

jared herbert
06-27-2010, 2:08 PM
Hello I have used the general forum some but have never been on the turners side even though I do a fair amount of turning in the winter. Anyway I just had to show off the walnut log that I got from a neighbor a few days ago. A wind storm knocked a lot of this tree on to a power line and they decided that the whole thing had to be taken out. It is about 16 feet long and the butt end is in the neighborhood of 24 in dia. I have added it to my stash behind the barn and will get in to it next winter. I cant bear the though of using a chainsaw now with all of the heat and humidity that we are experiencing in Iowa right now. Just had to show it to somebody. Jared

Ken Fitzgerald
06-27-2010, 2:19 PM
Welcome to the Turning Forum Jared. Nice gloat!

David E Keller
06-27-2010, 2:21 PM
Way to come out of the gate gloating!:D

That's a nice looking log... Looking forward to seeing what you turn from it.

charlie knighton
06-27-2010, 2:42 PM
nice gloat, me thinks thats not the 1st log that has been hoisted, enjoy :D

Allen Neighbors
06-27-2010, 4:19 PM
Welcome to the forum, Jared.. well done. I'll just add the suggestion that you paint the ends of the log heavily, if you're not cutting it yet... It'll make it keep longer for you...

jared herbert
06-27-2010, 4:20 PM
No its not the first that I have hoisted with that tractor and I am sure not planning on it being my last. Jared

Harvey Ghesser
06-27-2010, 4:25 PM
Welcome to the forum, Jared! Lots of wonderful people here!:D

Steve Schlumpf
06-27-2010, 5:09 PM
Jared - Welcome to this side of the Creek!

Great looking log! Make sure you seal the ends so it doesn't check super bad before you get to turn it!

Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Thom Sturgill
06-27-2010, 5:39 PM
Welcome to the vortex side of the creek Jared. Hope to see some of that walnut turned (we love pictures if you haven't heard).

Steve Mawson
06-27-2010, 5:49 PM
Way to go, nice log. If you are on the West side of Iowa I might even be talked into helping cut it up. Lots of nice turnings in that piece. Also welcome to the turning side of the forum.

jared herbert
06-27-2010, 6:35 PM
I live in northwest Iowa near Spirit Lake, 3 miles from Mn and 75 to SD. And to those that have commented about painting the log ends, The tree was down for about 2 weeks when I got it so the cracking process had alreadly started. It doesnt seem like it goes all that deep in walnut though. I will just have to cut a slice off the end. There is a real nice crotch at the top that should make a nice platter or two. Jared

Bernie Weishapl
06-27-2010, 8:56 PM
Welcome to SMC. Great looking walnut there.

Paul Douglass
06-27-2010, 9:20 PM
Great log and welcome. To think of all the walnut I cut down and burned in my wood stove before I started turning. Makes me shudder!!