PDA

View Full Version : Polish Cast Iron

Brett Hoffman
06-27-2010, 1:23 PM
I have a new table saw that while I was assembling it I got some sweat on it. This caused a little rust and I was able to remove it, but after I removed the rust it still left a mark in the cast iron.

I put some Boesheild T9 on it which is keeping it from rusting any further (it’s very humid here, and I’ve been sweating on it a lot).

I was wondering if anyone polishes the cast iron to get the shiny “new” feel back into the top. If so, what do you use to get the shinny back?

Thanks,

Brett

Neil Brooks
06-27-2010, 1:38 PM
You can use Scotchbrite pads with things like WD-40 or BarKeeper's Friend.

If it were me, I'd leave it alone, and keep it waxed/coated with the T-9.

But ... that's just me ;)

Brett Hoffman
06-27-2010, 2:04 PM
Is there anything that I should know aobut BarKeepre’s Friend or just that it not being shinny/new doesn’t bother you so you’d leave it alone?

Thanks,

Brett

Hugh Jardon
06-27-2010, 5:42 PM
I had a sheen of surface rust on my TS, so I used the product that comes in a twin pack with T-9 from Sears. Called something generic like "Rust remover", and appears to be a weak acid.

Anyway, the pump dispenser pumped globs of it onto the TS, and although there is no rust, the acid left marks too. Looks like I sneezed on the TS. The T-9 did its job though.

I bought some new iron in January (a jointer), and coated it with T-9 then JPW as soon as I took the oil off the tables. Still looks like new 6 months on.

I dont think there's any way to renovate the TS without exposing unoxidized iron, and that would realistically mean grinding. Which is unrealistic in itself.

Dan Karachio
06-27-2010, 10:50 PM
With any new tool I immediately scuff up the iron top so I don't have to worry about the newness thing! Kidding!

It's horrible isn't it! You spend all this money and you want it looking new, at least for a little while.

John Thompson
06-28-2010, 9:54 AM
I would leave it as is also and keep wax on it for sure if you sweat a lot. I live in Atlanta and the humidity in summer is fierce so I have the same problems. I'm in the shop every week-day and have to wax about every two weeks at this point of year which only takes 10 minutes. I highly suggest you keep a clean terry cloth towel hanging near the saw and wiping immediately when you see sweat beads have dropped. Cast iron will rust in about 15-30 minutes when it gets water beads... wax or not sooooo!

What I won't do after 39 years of having cast iron topped machines is use Rust Remover that contains acid. I have not seen one yet that won't leave a coloring mark. Use the scotch-brite and WD-40 or I often use a rust eraser I get at Highland WW but.. no Rust Removers will ever be applied to my machines period. Just a personal thang from my experience with them. Mileage may vary.

Good luck...