PDA

View Full Version : Vortex is Real!!

William Hutchinson
06-27-2010, 1:09 PM
I recently asked for advise regarding the Grizzly 18/47 and Jet 16/42 lathes. You folks offered valuable information and hence I decided on the Grizzly; which was ordered. I later received an email saying it was out-of-stock till mid July.

The more I thought, the more I came to believe that the Powermatic 3520b had always been my first choice. For the expected service life of the tool, the cost difference is insignificant. Anyway, I canceled the 18/47 and will order the Powermatic.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shop%20Tools/Powermatic3520b.jpg

I'm waiting for a quote from ToolNut- Sean said their sale price will be released next week. ToolPlus has a July 4th preorder sales pricing that looks good. I'll kick in for the 18" bed extension while I'm helplessly controlled by the freaking vortex. :eek:

I'm really sorry if my sarcastic humor offended any of you. I'd truly appreciate it, if you'd recall, remove and slap the curse upon another nonbeliever.

Update:
Just got the ToolNut sales email listing the lathe at $2696.40, no delivery fees or shipping.

Harvey M. Taylor
06-27-2010, 1:23 PM
Not a chance. The warranty is non-transferable, sorry, Max

Michael James
06-27-2010, 1:26 PM
Im new, but Im suspecting that that vortex is in perpetual motion already. It's power increases expotenitally whenever any of us lust after a particular tool or turning media.
I also sense that in a universe of free will, no one is trapped until they hit the submit button on the registation to the Creek or other channels. We have all been led here by the siren call of " oh S**t... there goes another fine chunk of wood, or some similar expression of inability to execute the vision. Yes, it's deep, and one would be wise to submit while the sales is on!:cool:
mj

gary Zimmel
06-27-2010, 1:41 PM
You won't be sorry with getting the 3520B William.
A little broker but not sorry. Upside is that pain goes away real fast..
An early congrats on the new mustard!

David E Keller
06-27-2010, 2:42 PM
Congrats on the new lathe order, and I don't think you'll find better service or pricing anywhere.

I love my mustard monster!:)

charlie knighton
06-27-2010, 2:44 PM
nice glaot,....

Joe Mioux
06-27-2010, 3:11 PM
I recently asked for advise regarding the Grizzly 18/47 and Jet 16/42 lathes. You folks offered valuable information and hence I decided on the Grizzly; which was ordered. I later received an email saying it was out-of-stock till mid July.

The more I thought, the more I came to believe that the Powermatic 3520b had always been my first choice. For the expected service life of the tool, the cost difference is insignificant. Anyway, I canceled the 18/47 and will order the Powermatic.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shop%20Tools/Powermatic3520b.jpg

I'm waiting for a quote from ToolNut- Sean said their sale price will be released next week. ToolPlus has a July 4th preorder sales pricing that looks good. I'll kick in for the 18" bed extension while I'm helplessly controlled by the freaking vortex. :eek:

I'm really sorry if my sarcastic humor offended any of you. I'd truly appreciate it, if you'd recall, remove and slap the curse upon another nonbeliever.

I just checked my email... Toolnut price for a 3520 is $2696.40. I am betting that the price includes delivery.

This is their july 4th sale.

Hard to beat that price..... talk about tempting!!!!

Sean Ackerman NY
06-27-2010, 3:19 PM
I just checked my email... Toolnut price for a 3520 is $2696.40. I am betting that the price includes delivery.

This is their july 4th sale.

Hard to beat that price..... talk about tempting!!!!

Yep, price does include delivery. Open for orders staaaaaaaaarting NOW!:cool:

Bob Bergstrom
06-27-2010, 3:36 PM
I've had my 3520 two years. I have had five lathes before the Powermatic, none can compare with the versatility and turning capacity of this lathe. Enjoy it. and great price.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-27-2010, 3:37 PM
The Vortex Is Real?

Hello? Where have you been?:confused::rolleyes:

Do you really think turners would try to kid you, tease you or mislead you?:rolleyes:

John Keeton
06-27-2010, 3:51 PM
William, William - you are so weak!! You folded without even a nudge from anyone. I don't want to believe this, but I fear you did this just to create envy and jealousy amongst the rest of us poor saps that haven't dropped over the edge yet!!:D;)

Congrats!!

William Hutchinson
06-27-2010, 4:06 PM
The Vortex Is Real?

Hello? Where have you been?:confused::rolleyes:

Do you really think turners would try to kid you, tease you or mislead you?:rolleyes:

Where have I been! I was upstairs minding my own business, living a clean existence, thinking pure thoughts and under the illusion I had some iota of inner strength. One step of naivety led me down the turners rabbit hole and it seems I can't escape.

alex carey
06-27-2010, 4:24 PM
wow 2700, you got a great deal. Gratz on the lathe. She won't disappoint.

Keith Burns
06-27-2010, 4:36 PM
TA-DA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy ! You will not regret your choice.

William Hutchinson
06-27-2010, 4:47 PM
... I don't want to believe this, but I fear you did this just to create envy and jealousy amongst the rest of us poor saps that haven't dropped over the edge yet!!:D;)

Congrats!!

Keep it up Keeton, and it will be hard to distinguish that elongated snout from one of your finials.:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
06-27-2010, 5:14 PM
Smart move! Looking forward to seeing the photos once your lathe arrives and is all set up!

Matt Hutchinson
06-27-2010, 5:33 PM
Congrats! Can't wait to see what you turn with it!

Hutch

P.S. With a name like yours, smart thinking probably comes naturally. :D

bob svoboda
06-27-2010, 7:03 PM
Welcome to the Mustard Club AND Reality. You won't regret it! I also vote for ToolNut for price and most of all for service.

Cathy Schaewe
06-28-2010, 9:59 AM
Oh man, I shouldn't have read this thread. I'm drooling all over my keyboard. Boy does that PM sound appealing. I think my keyboard is shorting out.:eek:

I wonder if they'll have the jet 1642 on sale? Anybody know?

Tim Rinehart
06-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Oh man, I shouldn't have read this thread. I'm drooling all over my keyboard. Boy does that PM sound appealing. I think my keyboard is shorting out.:eek:

I think a little more than $1800 or so for 2HP version!! Go get it!! You want it!! You need it!!!

Cathy Schaewe
06-28-2010, 10:30 AM
I think a little more than $1800 or so for 2HP version!! Go get it!! You want it!! You need it!!!

Oh boy. Need? No. Want? Droooooool.

Help!

The Vortex has meeeee........

Sean Ackerman NY
06-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Cathy, I do. I'm not at liberty to post or share pricing on the board. Go to www.toolnut.com and you'll find it :)

Cathy Schaewe
06-28-2010, 10:47 AM
ohboy, ohboy, ohboy.

ok, cathy, walk away from the computer, and nobody (or no wallet) will get hurt ....:D

William Hutchinson
06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
ohboy, ohboy, ohboy.

ok, cathy, walk away from the computer, and nobody (or no wallet) will get hurt ....:D

$1823 for a Jet 1642-2hp is a very nice price. I'm sure you have reasoned, with a 5yr warranty, the monthly cost is about $30. This lathe will certainly last longer so your actual expense will be sofa change- in the long haul.

BTW, wallets don't hurt or have snapping teeth. However, as I recently discovered, they do have a forlorn echo when empty.

Ron Bontz
06-28-2010, 3:50 PM
Congrats on the 3520B. The one thing better for me would have been the 4224. :)

Bernie Weishapl
06-28-2010, 7:52 PM
ohboy, ohboy, ohboy.

Sheesh Cathy. You could get either one and boy that cherry would fit nicely. Ya know you want one.:eek:;):rolleyes: