PDA

View Full Version : New Neander additions

John Miliunas
11-30-2004, 11:18 PM
I believe it was a couple weeks ago that I stated you are "...bad, BAD people!" over here on the dark side. :rolleyes: Now I've got further proof! It all started with that little LN block plane. Seems that these two pieces have now adopted me as their new "dad"! The ECE 171 is sweet, though I found that setting the blade skew is a bit tough. Also, with my arthritis, the way I need to grab the butt end of the plane, does "remind" quite clearly of that arthritis. The full handle to grab on the LV Scraper Planer is easier on the pain. BUT, they're both quite nice. I think the next thing I may need to get is a decent Jack plane. Kind of looking at the LV for that. Suggestions? :confused: Anyhow, thanks for all your guidance and taking a peek! :) :cool:

Mark Singer
11-30-2004, 11:34 PM
John,

I am jealous...neither one of my planes arrived yet! I think my #140 LN may show tomorrow. The ECE 711 is my favorite. You probably know that by now. Loosen the black knob at the back and make the blade square with the body using the lateral adjustment. You can touch it lightly with your thumb..careful. When it is square tighten it. You only mess with it when you take the blade out to sharpen. Otherwise it stays square. I have the LN 112 and I am still getting the handg of it. I seem more comfortable with a card scraper or the #80. I do use it occasionaly .d id it come with a power cord or are the battery powered like the John special?:D

Keith Christopher
12-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Ohhh my next LN is going to either be the jointing plane or the scraper not sure which. Very nice in deed John !

Lloyd Robins
12-01-2004, 12:51 AM
OHHHH! Very nice! I will have to post a pic of my new Knight when it arrives. Let us know how the LV scraper tunes up.

Charles McKinley
12-01-2004, 1:45 AM
I CALL DIBS ON THE W&H!!!!! ;)

I should post this on the eletric light side. I think you have it bad John. These aren't even ebay stuff you went straight to main lining with your addiction!

Very nice additions.

Hands: John did I mention "Vet Wrap" to you before? It is a tape that only sticks to itself that is used to wrap horses legs. It works wonderfully to tape your hands. It can be purchased at Agway or a horse supply store. I think Jerrers or Jefferds vet supply is online.

John Miliunas
12-01-2004, 8:00 AM
John,

I am jealous...neither one of my planes arrived yet! I think my #140 LN may show tomorrow. The ECE 711 is my favorite. You probably know that by now. Loosen the black knob at the back and make the blade square with the body using the lateral adjustment. You can touch it lightly with your thumb..careful. When it is square tighten it. You only mess with it when you take the blade out to sharpen. Otherwise it stays square. I have the LN 112 and I am still getting the handg of it. I seem more comfortable with a card scraper or the #80. I do use it occasionaly .d id it come with a power cord or are the battery powered like the John special?:D

You? Jealous? Sheeeesh...You've already GOT all these nice tools and more/better! PLUS, you actually KNOW how to USE them! :D

You're absolutely right about squaring up the 711! Found that out right off. I dinked with it for a while before I could get it to cut the full width of the blade. I haven't messed with the blade mouth opening, yet. I'll get there.... :) :cool:

Rob Bourgeois
12-01-2004, 8:57 AM
Slope meet John...John meet slope...

Bye bye John have a nice slide.

Nice tools, right now the lack of money and impending Christmas is the only thing holding me back from buying more of those tailless wonders.

John Miliunas
12-01-2004, 9:08 AM
Nice tools, right now the lack of money and impending Christmas is the only thing holding me back from buying more of those tailless wonders.

Thanks. Yeah, me too really but, although I don't usually care to do it, I have found that wood and "plastic" can sometimes co-exist pretty well! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Jim Becker
12-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Gettin' slippery around here.... :D

John Miliunas
12-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Gettin' slippery around here.... :D

Yeah, fortunately for me, I grew up in the Northern part of the Country, so at least, when I slip & fall, I usually end up on the padded part! :D :cool:

Terry Hatfield
12-01-2004, 11:08 AM
DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you got me doing it!!! Asked LOML for LV LA block for Xmas and ordered a restored #4 from a friend that does such in Florida. GEZZZ!!!!!!

Terry

Mark Singer
12-01-2004, 11:09 AM
John.

Leave the mouth at about a 16th unless you really need do smooth difficult wood. It is a great edge plane too, Don't use it for shooting on the bench, or you will take the finish off...use a steel plane.

Roger Myers
12-01-2004, 11:45 AM
John, those are some sweet looking tools!!

Gee it's starting to get crowded over here on the "dark" side.....glad to see that so many are starting to see the light :)

The hand tools certainly bring about a great pleasure in my woodworking, no matter if a brand new LN or LV plane or shave, or a moulding plane that has been used by 8 generations of craftsmen who each left ther owners marks on the tool. Still, like most, I'll never give up my "tailed apprentices" as they too have their place in the shop.

Speaking of slippery slopes, I'm waiting on delivery of my new PM lathe, which I have a feeling may make that slope quite a bit greasier :)

Roger

John Miliunas
12-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Speaking of slippery slopes, I'm waiting on delivery of my new PM lathe, which I have a feeling may make that slope quite a bit greasier :)

Roger

Hmmmm....I smell a MAJOR gloat (complete with pics, of course!) in the making here! :) :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
12-01-2004, 2:03 PM
Roger better post pix with his gloat on the new PM spinny thing. If not the penalty will be VERY severe. Ya see, I know where he lives and am prepared ( as a public service of course) to go and confiscate said lathe. :D

As for that comment about us being Bad, Bad people--- you're right. We cheerfully admit it. All old tools and hand tools groups are rightly known as the support groups from hell.

John Miliunas
12-01-2004, 2:06 PM
As for that comment about us being Bad, Bad people--- you're right. We cheerfully admit it. All old tools and hand tools groups are rightly known as the support groups from hell.

Huh? Now even *I* don't think you guys are THAT bad! :) Now THIS is going to sound really strange, but I'm kind of enjoying this little side-trip I've taken! :D :cool:

Herb Blair
12-01-2004, 2:25 PM
DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you got me doing it!!! Asked LOML for LV LA block for Xmas and ordered a restored #4 from a friend that does such in Florida. GEZZZ!!!!!!

Terry
Terry,
Next thing you'll be putting woody siding on your Pickup using all the nice handtools you're getting.....

Marc Hills
12-01-2004, 3:08 PM
I've heard the old saw about the neander thing being bad. It's a lie; plane and simple. I mean, personally, I could give up my old tools any time. Really. I could. I just choose not to. Anyone saying the neanderthal way is somehow bad is just trying to auger into our collections and gouge us of our tools. You can gauge their interest in our stuff by how hard they plow into the neander "cult" thing. It's just jealousy that dovetails nicely with their dependence on powered tools.

Its not like neanders are going to take over our minds or anything.

Tom LaRussa
12-01-2004, 7:44 PM
Seems that these two pieces have now adopted me as their new "dad"!
Uh John,

Did you hack into Chris P's bank account again?! :eek:

Tom LaRussa
12-01-2004, 7:48 PM
Huh? Now even *I* don't think you guys are THAT bad! :) Now THIS is going to sound really strange, but I'm kind of enjoying this little side-trip I've taken! :D :cool:
Just keep calling it a "side trip" -- it makes it easier for some folks.

You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!

(The Eagles -- Hotel Handtoolmania)

Jeff Sudmeier
12-01-2004, 8:01 PM
So John what I really want to know is what was the next "gloat" in the making sitting on your back (front) porch tonight? Hmm... big box just sitting there all lonely, begging me to put it in my truck.. You're soo lucky it stayed there! :) Just kidding... hope you enjoy whatever it was.

Mark Stutz
12-01-2004, 8:39 PM
John,
Lokking goooood! You've even got Terry started down this slope. I'll be interested in how you like the scraper plane. That is something that is starting to show up on the radar screen.

Mark

Terry Hatfield
12-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Terry,
Next thing you'll be putting woody siding on your Pickup using all the nice handtools you're getting.....

LOL...

Herb,

I hope I don't get it that bad!!! :eek:

t

John Miliunas
12-01-2004, 10:44 PM
So John what I really want to know is what was the next "gloat" in the making sitting on your back (front) porch tonight? Hmm... big box just sitting there all lonely, begging me to put it in my truck.. You're soo lucky it stayed there! :) Just kidding... hope you enjoy whatever it was.

Ahhhh...Jeff, my friend! Had you looked at the package a bit closer, you may have noted it came from Lee Valley! Good think you didn't, as then you might just "mistakenly" dropped it in your truck with the rest of the ducting stuff! :eek: Patience. I did a real long day at the factory today and barely had time to check the condition and completeness of the contents. Hopefully, tomorrow, I will take it for a trial run and post pics and initial thoughts. :) :cool:

Tom LaRussa
12-02-2004, 8:20 AM
I believe it was a couple weeks ago that I stated you are "...bad, BAD people!" over here on the dark side.
Actually John, we are GOOD, BAD people over here on the enlightened side. I.E., we are very GOOD at being BAD. {{{tee hee hee}}}:p

Jeff Sudmeier
12-02-2004, 8:28 AM
Ahhhh...Jeff, my friend! Had you looked at the package a bit closer, you may have noted it came from Lee Valley! Good think you didn't, as then you might just "mistakenly" dropped it in your truck with the rest of the ducting stuff! :eek: Patience. I did a real long day at the factory today and barely had time to check the condition and completeness of the contents. Hopefully, tomorrow, I will take it for a trial run and post pics and initial thoughts. :) :cool:
Ahh but John I did notice that, I just didn't want to steal your thunder totally :) Hope you enjoy whatever it was!

John Miliunas
12-02-2004, 8:38 AM
Ahh but John I did notice that, I just didn't want to steal your thunder totally :) Hope you enjoy whatever it was!

You're a good man, Jeff! I see you got the PVC pipe and peripherals outta' there OK. Should give you a good start on the DC system! :) :cool:

Keith Christopher
12-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Dave said it best, as many as can be dragged down the neander path will. We're all neanders to some degree, maybe it's just me but I can't seem to get tenons to fit (because I cut them proud :) ) like norm on the first pass (I know magic of television) but he always portrays like it goes from TS to snug wonderful fit in his show. I love my hand tools but I don't relish the thought of removing alot of stock by hand, I do it sometimes, but nothing wrong with creating magnetic fields once in a while.

John Miliunas
12-02-2004, 11:46 AM
I love my hand tools but I don't relish the thought of removing alot of stock by hand, I do it sometimes, but nothing wrong with creating magnetic fields once in a while.

Hey Keith, now THAT's a healthy attitude! :D :cool: