PDA

View Full Version : Finished Shop in Garage

Jack Burgess
06-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Well I have finally finished shop in one side wall of 2-car garage. Things did not work out exactly as I planned but still it is OK. Did not need the drop-down table after all - will use portable sawhorse and put Chop saw on it will work. I appreciate all of the advice I received but due to pricing restraints and Father's Day sales I ended up with Craftsman Chop saw, band saw, drill press, and router. Rigid circular saw and power hammer. I know that they aren't the best but will see - will let everyone know how they hold up. Thanks again for the help and advice.

Bill Huber
06-27-2010, 12:14 AM
I really don't think the brand of the tool makes that much difference, it is the person that is using them is what makes the difference.

Now go make some sawdust.

Carl Beckett
06-27-2010, 8:17 AM
As noted prior, it doesnt matter at all what tools you have - you can build some great stuff with very limited tools.

The exciting thing is that you have a dedicated place to work! Fantastic!

I remember starting out with a homemade router top that I put together in the back of the 'shop' at work (just a top bolted to the router base - no frame or sides - it had to be clamped to some sawhorses and the stock fed along while I was on my knees). My other tool was a belt sander.

I made a couple nice pieces with this setup (an Alder computer table and a bookcase).

Its funny, because I was able to get it done and it came out great. If you asked me today to build the same things with the same equipment, I would tell you it couldnt be done well.

Sometimes we get too hung up on the tools and lose sight of the project. To me, getting yourself setup as you have is a huge milestone.

Go build, and enjoy your work space!

Carroll Courtney
06-27-2010, 10:41 AM
More has been done w/less over the centurys which shows that skill is the best tool and its only nurtured when put to use.Smithsonian is full of master pieces---Carroll

Greg Peterson
06-27-2010, 11:04 AM
You have a pretty major problem. Until you start referring to your work area as The Shop, it won't matter what tools you have. Never call it the garage. From now on, it's The Shop!

Enjoy the journey!

Pat O'malley
06-27-2010, 11:36 AM
I agree with Bill and Carl. After watching some of Norm's early shows online I notice the tools he used back then are at the same level or less than what I have now, yet I still can't make any thing as nice???:D Oh well I guess I'll just have to keep trying. Anyway as a hobbiest IMO I think many of the tools available are a good fit for our needs and budgets. Now get out to the "shop" and make some dust. Pat

Will Overton
06-27-2010, 11:46 AM
After watching some of Norm's early shows online I notice the tools he used back then are at the same level or less than what I have now...

I watched those shows when they were new. :)
Many tools found their way into my shop because Norm was using them. A bunch have been upgraded since then, but mostly out of 'want', not need.

Brian Kincaid
06-29-2010, 11:52 AM
You have a pretty major problem. Until you start referring to your work area as The Shop, it won't matter what tools you have. Never call it the garage. From now on, it's The Shop!

Enjoy the journey!

Not shop, Studio! :D
-Brian

John Thompson
06-29-2010, 12:17 PM
You have more tools than I started with on a crisp October day in 1972 in a one car garage. I can't think of anything I have built to date and I turn out a carcass piece about every two months average that I couldn't build with the tools I started with as the bottom line as has been more or less stated. I can just do it much faster now. You are only limited by your attitude.. effort and imagination, not the amount or quality of the tools IMO..

Good luck and enjoy...

Don Selke
06-29-2010, 1:46 PM
Greg is correct, I have a shop with three garage doors.:)

Jason White
06-29-2010, 6:41 PM
Sounds like your off to a great start! However, do yourself a favor and connect as many of your tools as you can to a dust collector or shop vac. Your lungs will thank you and woodworking is much more enjoyable when your shop and clothes aren't covered in sawdust.

Well I have finally finished shop in one side wall of 2-car garage. Things did not work out exactly as I planned but still it is OK. Did not need the drop-down table after all - will use portable sawhorse and put Chop saw on it will work. I appreciate all of the advice I received but due to pricing restraints and Father's Day sales I ended up with Craftsman Chop saw, band saw, drill press, and router. Rigid circular saw and power hammer. I know that they aren't the best but will see - will let everyone know how they hold up. Thanks again for the help and advice.