PDA

View Full Version : Backcutting after vertical raised panel bit....

Chris Harry
06-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Still attempting my first prototype raised panel using a vertical raised panel bit.

First shot went OK. I had more trouble making the rails and stiles than anything else. And I think part of the problem was the fact that I hadnt backcut the panel. Since the panel and rails/stiles all started as 3/4" thick stock, the dado for the panel would have taken a rather large chunk of material out of the rails/stiles.

I tried running the back of the panel thru the vertical panel bit but all that did was give me an angled "back cut" (of course!). I dont have an actual back or under cut bit, could I just use a straight bit instead? I think I can, just figured Id ask what everyone around here does.

Note I do have a horizontal raised panel set waiting to be used, but dont have a high HP router yet, and wanted to prove I can do the panels with the vertical set too.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Frank Drew
06-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Chris,

Don't weaken your frame by making the groove more than about 1/3 the thickness of the frame stock; instead, reduce the thickness of the panel material before raising it.

Tom Hintz
06-27-2010, 3:09 AM
You can use a straight bit to make the back cut but it leaves a "hard" or sharp square edge. I bought one back cutting bit that leaves a nice little cove but I can use it with any panel raising bit. It just gives the panel a more finished look and I don't have to sand or somehow deal with the square corner I used to have when I used straight bits.

Joe Scharle
06-27-2010, 8:48 AM
I've used a dishcutter bit with a slap-on fence.