PDA

View Full Version : HO HO HOMMMMEEEE wth meeeee.

Keith Christopher
11-30-2004, 11:10 PM
couple of things, new sharpening jig, forstner bit, some dowel centers, a 1/4" 1/2" shank spiral up cut and my new LN Rabbet block plane 60-1/2R.

Christopher Pine
11-30-2004, 11:11 PM
Sure is a pretty plane!!!!

:)

Tyler Howell
12-01-2004, 5:49 AM
Nice Haul Keith!

Haven't heard good things about the honing guide. Let us know how you like it. I guess even Mr. Lee of LV was disappointed. apparently doesn't get a good grip on your iron or chisels!:o

Expecting a delivery from the Neander tool snob store any day now. Looking forward to joining the club.:cool:

Jerry Palmer
12-01-2004, 8:48 AM
How you gonna get an eggbeater to spin fast enough for the spiral bit to work?;)

As to the honing guide, Rob Lee has touted its use on at least a couple of occassions over at the Woodnet tailless tools forum. I've been using one for quite some time and, with the angle setting jig, it works great. Apparently there is supposed to be a little rubber pad you can install on the frame which helps to secure the blades better. I either didn't get one with mine, or thought it was packing material and tossed it.

LV/V is supposed to be coming out with a new version of the honing guide after the first of the year, if I remember correctly. According to Rob, it does a number of things better than the old version, but you can't get any sharper of an edge with the new one than you could with the old one.

Tony Zaffuto
12-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Tyler,

I have the LV sharpening jig, as well as an Eclipse. Each has it place. The Eclipse seems to be spot on for sharpening square. The LV can't be beat for sharpening skew angles. Further, the LV does a very respectable job on all sharpening, provided you take the time to square the chisel or plane blade to the jig and you don't apply excessive pressure on the strokes. All in all, I would not part with either jig.

Sidenote, for you "scary sharps" out there, having multiple jigs is nice, because you can set up several chisels or blades to sharpen while you make your way up through the silicon carbide paper.

Tony Z.

Keith Christopher
12-01-2004, 10:55 AM
You know, the highlight of the bunch is the LN. :p I will try the guide and let you all know how it works out.

Vince Sandy
12-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Good stuff you got there Keith!

I have the LV sharpening guide. I've used it with plane blades and chisels and am completely satisfied with it. It does what it is supposed to. You will enjoy it.

Happy Holidays, Vince

Christian Aufreiter
12-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi Keith,

congrats on your new tools.

I also own the Veritas honing guide and like it. I'm not a big fan of this angle setting jig, I'd rather prefer some kind of fence which would make squaring a plane blade/chisel easier. But on the other hand this would require a perfectly rectangular blade.
BTW, someone over on Woodcentral posted a shopmade fence for his Veritas honing guide if I remember correctly.

Regards,

Christian

Alan Turner
12-01-2004, 7:53 PM
I agree that the plane is the best fo the haul. I have had one for some eyars, and it has many miles on it. It is great for fitting tenons because of its width. Enjoy.
Alan

Keith Christopher
12-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Alan,

I bought it JUST for fitting tenons! LN makes such awesome tools.

Keith Christopher
12-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Ok, I have tried the scary sharp system with the LV honing guide and let me tel you, it's AWESOME. The LV had a little rubber pad that holds the chisel in place quite nicely. I made some small blocks that fit in the jig and allows me to quickly square the chisel in the jig I do recomment this for anyone out there with this jig, much easier than with a square.

Tyler Howell
12-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks I need that.:cool:

Mike Scoggins
12-02-2004, 1:20 PM
Keith,

How about a picture(s) of the "small blocks that fit in the jig and allows me to quickly square the chisel in the jig?" I just received the same jig earlier this week, and your blocks sound like something I'd like to try.

Thanks,
Mike

Mark Stutz
12-02-2004, 8:29 PM
I'll second that vote for a PIC of the jig and block. That's what I have the hardest time with. Was thinking about trying another brand, but this may save me some money!

Louis Bois
12-03-2004, 1:29 PM
I used the Honing jig for a few years before I got the MK-II system as a gift!!! Thanks Hon!!! It didn't give me any trouble...although I admit I devised a little squaring up jig as well to help set up cutting tools quickly. The setup guide is just a little too persnickity for my taste.

As for the wee LN?!? I think it would be happier at my house Keith!!:D

Pete Harbin
12-04-2004, 3:05 PM
Keith,

I'm also using the Veritas guide with Scary Sharp. and you're right, it's awesome.
We went back home to Maryland last month to see another cousin married off, and I spent a good amount of time in my Dad's shop. We both cut our teeth on Scary Sharp and had really great results using the Veritas guide.
I liked it so much, I went out and bought the guide and sharpening supplies for myself. I bought two pieces of the plate glass so that I could set up eight grits at a time, two on each glass side.
I noticed that you've got a Marples Pro-Touch chisel there. I picked up nine different sizes over the past couple of months on clearence. I flattened the backs and sharpened all of them via Scary Sharp. I'll get to my planes after Christmas gift production.
I guess I'd better include pics or be tossed into the sin bin.