PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Mobile Cyclone - need reviews

scott Stilin
06-26-2010, 3:54 PM
Looking at cyclone options...

Does anyone have first hand experience with the Laguna3 hp Mobile Cyclone Dust Collector?

http://www.lagunatools.com/accessories/dustcollectors/dustcollector-cyclone3m

glenn bradley
06-26-2010, 5:46 PM
Looks like a re-badged JDS:

http://jdstools.com/3hpcyclone3100-ck2300cfmdustcollector.aspx

They didn't get a lot of good press following the initial kick-off hoop-la. Leaks, less than expected air flow, cheap casters, bin latches that broke, etc. seemed to be the main complaints. No real show-stoppers but, for the price one might expect more refinement. I believe we have some owners here. Maybe they will chime in as to whether the bugs got worked out or not(?).

Certainly other types and brands of tools have had initial issues that were resolved and they went on to be reliable models. These may be the same but, you just don't hear much about them. That is not in itself an indicator of dissatisfaction. Actually, dissatisfaction usually speaks louder ;-)

Bruce Page
06-26-2010, 8:13 PM
Re-badged and $200 more. I like the Laguna paint better but not that much better.

Is that Edgar playing guitar?

Jamie Buxton
06-26-2010, 8:17 PM
It is an interesting take on a cyclone. The typical 3 hp cyclone has a taller cone, which makes the overall height about 8 feet. This Laguna is designed to be shorter, so they've made the cone short. This means that the cone removes less sawdust from the air stream, so more dust gets to the canister filter than on the taller systems. To deal with this, they've included a beater inside the canister, and even motorized it. All in all, it is an interesting approach to building a shorter DC system.

glenn bradley
06-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Is that Edgar playing guitar?

Johnny ;).

Bruce Page
06-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Johnny ;).

Ah yes, It's been a long time. Guitar Slinger is one of my all time favorites.

scott Stilin
06-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the JDS unit. Laguna has a much better paint job. but it appears that the Laguna comes with a remote.
Any reviews of the JDS Unit?