PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new stationary sander

Don Dorn
06-26-2010, 3:42 PM
I've been doing with an old unit for years that is a 9" disc and 6x48 belt. Adjustments can be done, but no tensioner. Have been thinking it's time for a new one and even after researching, not sure which way to go and was hoping to get some input.

According to Amazon, the Jet at $619 seems to get satisfactory results more than the others, but there is a Shop Fox model that has twice the HP and a 12" disc which is tempting. I'm open to hearing about what you have and whether you like it or not. Thanks for any help.

Van Huskey
06-26-2010, 4:15 PM
I have a PM 31A and can highly recommend it BUT it going to be about 1K even with the upcoming 15% off sale.

Here is another option, is the disc portion of the sander you are using still doing the job? If so keep it and get a edge sander Grizzly has one for not much more than the Jet combo and if the disc you have is fine then you get a whole other world of possibilities for about the same money.

If you really are decided on a combo and ~600-700 is the budget then I would suggest the Grizzly G1276 it is pretty close to a 31A for about $350 less than the July 4th PM sale but does not come with a stand.

Callan Campbell
06-26-2010, 7:38 PM
I have the G1276, and like it too, but as Van mentioned, no stand, and there's also no dust port for the disc side of the machine. Grizzly tech support will cheerfully tell you what inexpensive part to order that's from one of their other machines so you can add the small[2"] dust port to the bottom of the disc table. The motor is only 1 HP, but seems to get the job done. Tracking always seems decent on my machine, and the tensioner helps but when your belt's been on the tool for a awhile, you may need to change it if it stretches. The belt ends up rubbing on the tables edge if the sanding belt has been installed for a long time.
With a fresh belt, you won't have that slop, and the belt is tight against the platen again, and doesn't rub on the table edge.
Maybe I have the table adjusted too close to the belt as well, but I thought I followed the instructions for the gap spec recommended by Grizzly when I set up the sander.:p:p
At any rate, maybe there's a used model of some sort lurking on Craigslist for you as well, so you don't have to buy a new one.

Don Dorn
06-26-2010, 7:57 PM
This is good advise, thanks. I hadn't really looked closely at the Griz and most of my shop is green so it's time to be a bit more serious about looking that direction too.

Will Overton
06-26-2010, 9:28 PM
Don,

Not familiar with the particular machines, but this might be of interest.

July 2nd - 8th, Jet is having a 15% off sale. The last couple of times they had sales like this, WoodCraft and Tools-Plus beat Amaazon's price. Tools-Plus is showing free shipping during the sale, not sure about WoodCraft.

Don Dorn
06-27-2010, 8:21 AM
Don,

Not familiar with the particular machines, but this might be of interest.

July 2nd - 8th, Jet is having a 15% off sale. The last couple of times they had sales like this, WoodCraft and Tools-Plus beat Amaazon's price. Tools-Plus is showing free shipping during the sale, not sure about WoodCraft.

I have a friend with the Jet machine and it's heavy duty and he likes it (so do I) a great deal. Thanks for the heads up - I looked it up and will probably take advantage of that. Thank you, you saved me a good deal of cash which makes it far more affordable. I appreciate everyone's input, thanks.

Mark Levitski
06-27-2010, 9:31 AM
Have had the G1014 for a few years and like it. Only 3/4 HP, but I can't imagine needing much more than this for a 9" disc. There is a learning curve to know how to tension the belt for the best tracking, but didn't take very long to figure out. This machine is used a lot in our shop, especially the belt portion. We got the cabinet version for more weight and some storage space without the dust.