PDA

View Full Version : Casting Resin

Jerry Marcantel
06-26-2010, 1:09 PM
I would like to turn a segmented type bowl, or HF using cholla as two accent rings, and the top, middle and bottom would be mesquite.... I don't want to use glue as the adhesive because it would get into the pores of the cholla and the worm holes in the mesquite, and not look good at all. My plan is to set up a form, pour casting resin into it, and then either vaccumn it or presurize it... Do any of you know what the adhesion properties are of the casting resin, and would it work????? Jerry (in Tucson)

David E Keller
06-26-2010, 2:47 PM
Jerry, I believe that most of the folks who combine resin and natural materials use simlar 41 for their castings. I don't have any experience with it, but I have read a fair bit about it on the IAP website.

Frank Van Atta
06-26-2010, 3:05 PM
I don't want to use glue as the adhesive because it would get into the pores of the cholla and the worm holes in the mesquite, and not look good at all.

Jerry, you must be using a ton of glue to fill up those holes.

Here's Cholla glued to Carob using CA glue. The holes aren't filled with glue, even in the small pieces used to create the ball in the middle of the finial.

http://fgvanatta.tripod.com/Cholla.jpg

As far as filling up the worm holes in mesquite - it usually takes a lot of sawdust and glue to do that. I have trouble doing it even when I try.

Jerry Marcantel
06-26-2010, 4:21 PM
Thanks David and Frank, Here's a picture of what I'm going to do to one, and the second one will all be segmented, with all the millions of little pieces..... Can't wait for that project......
On this one I'm going to drill out the center of the mesquite, and maybe the cholla... I don't want to work to hard....
Frank, that's a nice looking piece... It looks like you used a limb piece for that. One day I'll be trying something that nice...... How long have you been in Green Valley????... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jon Lanier
06-26-2010, 4:49 PM
As a side note... That is awesome!

Jerry, you must be using a ton of glue to fill up those holes.

Here's Cholla glued to Carob using CA glue. The holes aren't filled with glue, even in the small pieces used to create the ball in the middle of the finial.

http://fgvanatta.tripod.com/Cholla.jpg

As far as filling up the worm holes in mesquite - it usually takes a lot of sawdust and glue to do that. I have trouble doing it even when I try.

Frank Van Atta
06-26-2010, 6:20 PM
Thank you, Jon.

Jerry - The center part is a limb piece; the "ball" on the finial of the ornament is made of cholla segments glued together. I found that when you get the segments very small you end up with more holes than surface area - in this case I filled the holes with Wenge sawdust so I would have enough area to glue together.

BTW - I think I misspoke; those Cholla pieces were glued together with Titebond, not CA. :eek:

I've been in Green Valley for 2 years; 30 years in Phoenix before that.

Allen Neighbors
06-27-2010, 10:24 AM
I've been in Green Valley for 2 years; 30 years in Phoenix before that.

Lucky dog!!! Gettin' to live that close to Wally! How good can it get???:D

BTW, I like that Christmas Ornament, too!:cool: