PDA

View Full Version : German Shorthair Pointer losing hair around his nose

Bob Weisner
11-30-2004, 9:27 PM
Does anyone know what would cause my German Shorthair Pointer to start losing his hair around his nose? His hair about 1 to 2 inches from the base of the nose on up has gotten very thin. Almost bare on top. What could cause this?

Thanks,

Bob

Matt Allan
11-30-2004, 9:38 PM
I think the first thing to do would be take him to the vet ASAP.

I think there are a lot of things that could cause that.. Have you noticed him scratching the area? I *THINK* if they are scratching the area it indicated an allergy problem. If they aren't scratching it could be a lot of things, hormonal problems, etc and they need to run tests.

Again, I am NOT a vet and this is just what I have heard and remember.. So like everything I say, it could be completely wrong. :)

At the very least CALL the vet, they will most likely say to bring him in but ignoring it might make things worse.

Good luck

Mike Cutler
12-01-2004, 5:19 AM
What Matt said ASAP. Could be the early stage of mange, dermatitis, nervous disorder, blood disorder, or an allergic reaction, and way too many other things.
From Mike, who lost two great Vizsla's by waiting too long.

Tom LaRussa
12-02-2004, 2:40 PM
Does anyone know what would cause my German Shorthair Pointer to start losing his hair around his nose? His hair about 1 to 2 inches from the base of the nose on up has gotten very thin. Almost bare on top. What could cause this?

Bob,

Has your doggie been to the vet yet?

Jim O'Dell
12-02-2004, 7:11 PM
On the allergy thought, have you changed the dog's food recently? Or started giving any type of new treats? Hope the Vet gets him back in shape soon! Jim.

Bob Weisner
12-02-2004, 9:31 PM
Got an appointment to see the Vet on Monday, December 6th. My old Vet decided it was time to retire, (Been a Vet since 1960), and that left me looking for a new Vet. I looked very hard for another Vet that had dealt with German Shorthair Pointers. Finally found one. I was thinking about what could have caused the hair to disappear. Could not be food related, I have not changed his diet. Looked for signs of mange, none found. Then I went out in the backyard and saw Max burying a bone underneath some crushed stone we had put around the house. He was using his nose to push the crushed stones around. That must be it! The crushed stones are probably wearing away the hair on the top part of his face . Now I have to try a find some way to stop from burying bones in the backyard :confused:

Thanks,

Bob