PDA

View Full Version : Location,Location,Location

Jeff Fagen
06-26-2010, 12:39 AM
I always look with interest to see where someone lives when posting a turning to see where native woods come from.
I find it frustrating that a person will not fill in their location on their personal
page.:confused:
Are you afraid someone will show up and steal your wood gloat?:rolleyes:
Lighten up folks.:D

Frank Van Atta
06-26-2010, 2:41 AM
I can understand your point . . . BUT . . . knowing where a person is from doesn't necessarily tell you much about the woods they use in their turning.

For example, I live in Arizona, but most of the woods I turn are from the Northwest, Hawaii, Asia, Australia and Africa. I do turn native woods - Mesquite and Cholla and Ironwood, for example - but certainly not exclusively.

Just my take . . .:cool:

Nathan Hawkes
06-26-2010, 2:47 AM
Admittedly, it bothers me to when people don't put their location, mostly because I try and relate their turning wood, whether or not it represents what they actually turn, but also their environment, humidity, seasonal temps, etc. You can relate more to people when you know a bit about them. Besides that, I for one have thought the very same thing about people worrying about their wood gloats! I try and share at least a bit of my really good scores anyway. ;) Really good turning wood deserves to be turned!

Dick Rowe
06-26-2010, 5:33 AM
Jeff,

I live down the road a little ways from you in Wausau ... but the last thing I turned was purpleheart.

Not much of that growing around here ;)

Tim Boger
06-26-2010, 7:07 AM
I always look with interest to see where someone lives when posting a turning to see where native woods come from.
I find it frustrating that a person will not fill in their location on their personal
Lighten up folks.:D

Morning Jeff,

I often thought the same thing when reading peoples posts here, I figure a good many folks are concerned that someone or some machine online will get to much info on them. I figure the only thing of mine that's not public knowledge is my SS # ....... other than that I'm not to worried.

John Keeton
06-26-2010, 7:48 AM
Lighten up folks.:DJeff, keep in mind that whether to publicly post information is a personal choice based on many factors, including one's own perception of privacy/security. That choice doesn't really impact me in any way that I have experienced.

On the other, when a creeker asks for information regarding wood identification, or other matters where location would be helpful - I can agree with you.

David E Keller
06-26-2010, 10:00 AM
I've often thought the same thing, Jeff. I routinely go to the pages of those that post here to learn a bit more about them, and I'm always sad to see that there's no personal information. How is Bernie gonna find your house and wood pile if there's no location listed?:D

Tom Lewis
06-26-2010, 10:07 AM
I agree, it's nice to know what part of the country some one is from.

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I've often thought the same thing, Jeff. I routinely go to the pages of those that post here to learn a bit more about them, and I'm always sad to see that there's no personal information. How is Bernie gonna find your house and wood pile if there's no location listed?:D

Yea what David said. How am I to find all that wonderful stashed wood.

To be serious there are some on here for security reasons cannot give a location. I am not talking about their own security preferences but the job that they do requires that they don't give much personal info. I know for a long time I was one of those that worked with a Top Secret Crypto Clearance. You did not give any personal info period including where you lived.

Karl Card
06-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Now if anybody at all wants to drop off some wood...... i live in evansville, in..... please note....