PDA

View Full Version : Help with Craftsman Hybrid "zipcode" saw belt...

Jon Bonham
06-25-2010, 11:48 PM
I've had this saw for about 2 year, maybe a little longer. Today, while making some cuts, I noticed that the saw was really vibrating during the cut. Further investigation showed a completely deteriorated belt. The belt itself was so bad that I can make out any markings or description. From what I've been able to gather, it's a 6 rib 28" belt. I can't find much info on the internet about what belt to replace it with. I can find the replacement belt from Sears parts direct, but I was hoping to use my saw quicker than a week from now. Can I obtain this belt someplace else locally besides Sears Parts? Auto parts store? Can I use a Power Twist belt? Thanks in advance. Jon

glenn bradley
06-26-2010, 12:55 AM
No on the link belt; sorry. That is a "poly-v" belt by common name. Other than Sears or Orion (the 800 number on the front of your manual), I am not sure about a source. If you have a shop that deals in such things or a Grainger's, they might be worth a try by dimensions.

Jon Bonham
06-26-2010, 1:12 AM
No on the link belt; sorry. That is a "poly-v" belt by common name. Other than Sears or Orion (the 800 number on the front of your manual), I am not sure about a source. If you have a shop that deals in such things or a Grainger's, they might be worth a try by dimensions.

Thanks and damn! Guess I'll order one up from Sears Parts Direct and hope it ships quickly. Maybe I'll order two. At least they're only $9.

Bill ThompsonNM
06-26-2010, 4:45 AM
Online you can try www.beltsforanything.com. Probably others if you google poly v belts.

Will Overton
06-26-2010, 6:37 AM
Before putting a new belt on, be sure to check the pulley alignment. Maybe a set screw came loose and one moved. The belt should not have deteriorated like that in 2 years.

Also, do you keep an eye on the inside of the cabinet to make sure sawdust doesn't accumulate to the point it gets between the belt and the pulley?

scott spencer
06-26-2010, 8:09 AM
I'd try taking your belt into an auto parts store, radiator shop, and/or lawnmower repair place, and see if anyone has something close.

I know that the Ridgid R4511, Steel City 35920/35930, Craftsman 22104, 22114, and 22116 are also made by Orion....some of those belts may fit too.

Scott Donley
06-26-2010, 12:13 PM
The numbers written on my spare are 6pj-28. Don't know if that helps ya :)

Jon Bonham
06-26-2010, 1:24 PM
The numbers written on my spare are 6pj-28. Don't know if that helps ya :)

Thanks. The 6 means 6 ribs, the 28 is length. J is j section. I know a little about belts, mines just not marked.

Not sure why the belt deteriorated. The cabinet is always kept clean as a whistle. I'll take a look at the pulleys.

Jon Bonham
06-26-2010, 3:27 PM
Hey, good call on the pulley. After reading this thread I went out and put my hand on the blade pulley. It was fine. Then on the motor pulley. I could move it along the entire length of the motor arbor. I pulled it off with my hand and whoever assembled it had probably fouled the threads. The set screw was stuck and the allen head was stripped. It was not even making contact with the key.

It's a 1/2" 10-32 set screw. I ended up having to drill it out with a slightly larger drill than an 8-32 tap would use, tap it with an 8-32 tap and try to screw the remaining sleeve out the bottom with the tap. That actually worked until about the last few threads and the 8-32 tap broke. I was able to turn it a few turns with some needle nose pliers and then hammer it the rest of the way out with a small punch. Then I retapped it 10-32 and went down and bought the proper set screw for it. Of course, nobody around here has the belt so I guess I'm out of commission until next week sometime.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jon Bonham
06-26-2010, 6:40 PM
Well, I really needed to make a couple cuts with my saw, so I put the pulley back on, tightened up the set screw and threw the old tattered belt back on. I figured it's been half ass working like that for a while, it would probably be fine to make a couple more cuts. Apparently the quality of the belt makes almost no difference at all because my saw is back in perfect balance and the blade cut as good as it's ever cut. That pulley sliding back and forth on the motor arbor must have really been playing hell with the setup.