PDA

View Full Version : Impact Driver Quick Connect

Thomas Canfield
06-25-2010, 11:47 PM
My 6 week old 12 V impact driver had a phillips head driver bit struck in the head and the quick connect release would not operate. I called and talked to the tech service group of the manufacturer (I won't name at this time) and they could not advise how to get the bit released. I had furnished the tool for a group of men to use and was not sure of the bit, but thought it was one made by the driver manufacturer. They told me to take it to a service center 45 miles away or go on line and get instructions how to return it to service center. I decided to make one last attempt and use a crecent wrench to hold the driver and impacted in both directions. In reverse, the bit came loose and I found that it was a straight shank and not the reduced shank where the quick connect balls would normally drop in to hold and that was the cause of the "locking up". I did call the tech service back and reported the simple fix or another thing to try when the chuck will not open. Everyone using the tool were impressed with the ability and size of the 12V Lithum Milwaukee impact driver and drill.

Michael Flores
06-26-2010, 5:33 AM
Bits get stuck in my dewalt impact all the time. Nothing a pair of pliers cant solve. I think its time for a new drill.

Callan Campbell
06-26-2010, 7:47 PM
Sounds like someone put a "wire" bit with the really small groove in it. McFeeleys has a small paragraph in their catalogs about using the correct bits for whatever chuck your tool has so it won't do this to you. Ball detent bits have the large hollowed section, while wire detent chuck bits just have that tiny, straight relief of a groove across the corners or edges of the bit.
Apparently, it's much worse to use a "ball detent" bit in a standard magnetic bit holder designed for "wire" bits, as they tend to get stuck permanently. Hope this helps you out.

Thomas Canfield
06-26-2010, 10:23 PM
There was no detent on the bit that got stuck. I ran into a Milwaukee rep at the grand opening of a Northern Tool store here today and told him of the problem. He was not aware of the potential problem, but then I seem to get into a lot of "unusual" circumstances. Edsel Murphy seems to be my leader too much of the time.

Eiji Fuller
06-26-2010, 11:53 PM
My makita impact tends to grab the bit holder as well. Here is a quick tip.

When the bit chuck in the impact quick connect gets stuck switch the impact to reverse, grab the bit with your free hand and press the trigger. It will spin in your hands but the effort required to spin the bit in your hand transfers to the bithoder where it is stuck and it is now free to go.

Obviously dont want to do this with a drill bit.:)

Rick Potter
06-27-2010, 4:08 AM
I had the same problem with my brand new Milwaukee 12V impact driver and I was wondering about the quality of the tool. When I finally managed to get the bit out, I tried another and it was fine. When I looked over the original bit more carefully I found there was a small lump on one side of it (a manufacturing defect). I filed it down and it works fine now.

In other words it was a bit problem, not a tool problem.

Rick Potter