PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite Pocket knife

Andrew Gibson
06-25-2010, 11:05 PM
I thought this was an appropriate place to ask this question as I use my pocket knife in the shop all the time, and it definitely qualifies as a hand tool. Pocket knives are a bit of a tradition in my family. My dad got me my first for my 10th birthday (an old timer). He got his on his 10 birthday, etc

The reason for asking is I am in the market for a knew pocket knife.
the one I want right now is a Benchmade 10700 http://www.benchmade.com/products/10700. I have owned a couple of Benchmade knives now. Both a black class and red class benchmite. The only problem I have with the 10700 is it is a red class knife and has Chinese steel. $100 for a Chinese knife sounds steep, but I do like the style.
I loved both my benchmites but they just tend to get lost a little to easily. My last one disappeared a few weeks ago. I am pretty sure it jumped out of my pocket at a restaurant. Anyway time for something new.

What is your favorite brand and/or model pocket knife for every day carry.

I'm not a big fan of liner locks, but I do generally perfer a single locking blade. I also tend to like a pocket clip but I can easily live without one if the knife is right.

So, whats your pleasure?

Mike Zilis
06-25-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm also a big fan of Benchmade folders. I love the Osborne models with the Axis Lock. For my everyday carry, I use a Kershaw Vapor (1640ST) designed by Ken Onion. Although it's a liner lock, it's one of the smoothest I've owned.

Mike

Jim Koepke
06-25-2010, 11:30 PM
I do not like a big hunk in my pocket, so the knife that is always with me is my small Swiss Army knife. About 2" long end to end. It has one cutting blade, a scissors, a nail file small screwdriver, tweezers and a tooth pick. My key ring also has a screw driver, P38 can opener and a bottle opener.

If you are not too far from the restaurant where you think you lost it, you could give them a call to see if one was turned in. You just might get lucky.

jim

Clisby Clark
06-25-2010, 11:34 PM
I decided to get a lockblade after having some problems with accidental closures. I ended up getting the Sog Twitch 2. If I recall, it was less than 40 bucks from Amazon. I've read where they are Made in USA. This model is the first knife I've had that is spring-assisted opening. It's a blast to play with and I have actually needed one-handed opening within the past week.

It has a clip, but mine got sprung so I simply removed it (Torx screws) and haven't missed it a bit.

Seems to hold a decent edge. If I lost this one, I would buy another tomorrow.

harry strasil
06-25-2010, 11:54 PM
I carried a Case, 2 bladed folder Bosuns knife, in a belt sheath while in the Navy and untill I lost my hips and had to start wearing Carhartt Bibs, Its a rather large knife, and I bought several at the time. It had steel blades, the newer SS blades weren't worth taking home.

Now I carry a single blade freebee, that has a straight cutting edge often called a castrating blade, as it will double as a marking knife if my marking knife isn't handly.

Darnell Hagen
06-26-2010, 12:06 AM
I like the Columbia River Knife and Tool KISS. Small, light, quick, the tanto blade works well for opening packages and the single bevel makes it a decent marking knife. Holds an edge forever.

Randal Stevenson
06-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Between 90% of my use for a pocket knife (packing materials), and things like courthouses, airports, etc., I prefer just to carry one with a replaceable utility knife blade.

And so I don't lose them going through some checkpoint mumbo jumbo, my old Leatherman, and Gerber, are both kept one each, in a vehicle, for emergency/tool use.

Jason Roehl
06-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Here's what you need to know:

http://www.benchmade.com/images/table_blade_steels.gif

Note that 440 Stainless Steel is not on that list. You'll pay for blades made of steels in that table, but you won't be doing much sharpening.

I don't yet have the pocket knife I want, but I'm close. I have the style I like, but not the correct steel yet. Mine's a Boker Avtomat--yep, that's a switc...uhhh...I can open it one-handed. I'll probably get something similar from Gerber or Benchmade in S30V stainless.

Lee Ludden
06-26-2010, 1:02 AM
I carry a Benchmade 3550 automatic or a Benchmade Griptilian 550 (usually in back pocket for easy access). I keep some sort of Leatherman on my belt for general utility stuff.

Joel Goodman
06-26-2010, 1:25 AM
I was a big fan of the "Old Timer" made by Schrade with carbon steel blades but they are no longer made and mine is lost. Recently I have been using a Gerber with a single 2 1/2+" blade that is made in the USA. It is in the 25 -30 dollar range and is well made and very light and flat in the pocket.

Gerber L.S.T. LST Fine Edge
Mfg. #22-06009

John Schreiber
06-26-2010, 1:35 AM
I've had one of these in my pocket for most of 20 years now.
http://www.swissarmy.com/images/ProductCatalog/vm/vm_53101_sol_a02.jpg
It's sad, but I need a philips screwdriver more often than I need a corkscrew. :o:(

I keep the blades sharp enough for whittling and I filed off the key ring stud. The other tools come in handy frequently.

Unfortunately, I've left at least two knives at the TSA station.

Bruce Haugen
06-26-2010, 4:48 AM
the little Victorinox SAK and the Lee Valley Laguiole (http://www.leevalley.com/en/gifts/page.aspx?c=&p=32461&cat=4,53210&ap=4), a real beauty. I've carried the latter for the last 15 years.

Prior to that, I carried a Spyderco Delica and a Buck Esquire, both single-bladed slim knives.

Chuck Saunders
06-26-2010, 9:36 AM
Prefer a Case 4 blade congress 6488, but I don't want to put the wear on the ones I have. That leaves the Buck Stockman 3 blade as my carry knife.

James Taglienti
06-26-2010, 9:45 AM
i have been carrying the same leatherman for a while now. my grandmother gave it to me almost 20 years ago. it's not in my pocket per se, but i do love it. irreplacable for dismantling planes and tools at markets and auctions.

it upset me to find out that they don't make it any more- they're all covered in plastic now

Terry Beadle
06-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I like my Fallkniven U2. It has a blade made from the new powder steel formula and keeps an edge really a long time. About $55.

I also have an Al Mar D2 KA-BAR that's a very close second.

I can recommend either one very highly.

John A. Callaway
06-26-2010, 2:47 PM
benchmade makes a great blade, I have several... and my father is an insane benchmade collector.... but I am really not crazy about them... I guess because I have seen a kershaw keep a sharp edge longer.

I carry this.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=83&brand=kershaw

I lost one at work, and I replaced it with the same one again.

I lost that one when I jumped into the river while intoxicated....( please dont ask. that was an expensive mistake... new phone, knife, wallet, keyless entry fob for my car... the works ) and bought a third one.

This knife is worth its weight in function and design.

Jim Burke
06-26-2010, 3:36 PM
Oohhhh...........you can never have too many knives or flashlights, in my opinion. First, I'm not not a knife "nut"........no $500 or more for a knife, at this place.

I always carry a small Gerber with 2-1/2 inch blade........feels right in my hand, and holds an edge fairly well. I also carry a Cold Steel Voyager with 5-1/2 inch blade. The small knife does utility work, and the big knife is only pulled out for routine honing, or emergency use.

Cold Steel makes some rough, but very useable knives, to use and abuse...........and some high end knives I simply will not buy, because of their expense......and everything in between. Once you try a good Cold Steel folder, you'll like them. I'm not knocking other brands of knives.............I've used many of them.

All of you might roll your eyes at this, or yell blasphemy! but sometimes, there is just not the right tool for a odd job, except a low priced belt knife, and hammer (Gasp! Yes, I said hammer and knife, in the same sentence!) For jobs like cutting off a mix of tar & aluminum sheathing from around a chimney (yeah, had to do that) a low cost government issue military survival knife held up under this abuse, and made a hard task easy.

More knives! We need more knives!

Andrew Gibson
06-26-2010, 3:49 PM
Thanks all for all the great responses.
I have to admit my favorite thing about the little benchmite I had was the locking design, and the fact that no one could ever figure out how to open it. :p
http://www.passionepericoltelli.com/images/10610.jpg
Now after looking at a bunch of knives I stumbled across this guy. The CRKT fulcrum.
http://tdeknives.com/images/products/detail/CR7403.jpg
It has a unique opening and lock design that looks like fun, and it has scales that I bet I can make wooden replacements for... :D I always have wanted to have a knife I could make wooden scales for.
The model I posted is about 4" closed. They also have one that is a bit smaller and is about 3.25" closed and has mother of pearl scales. Only problem I have is with the Ti Nitrate coating on the blade. I have had a couple knives with coated blades and it just drives me nuts when they get scratched. So I will probably go with the one pictured.
Both come with AUS-8 blades which is what the benchmite had and I thought it held an edge well enough and was comparable to the 154cm that was in the black class benchmite I had a while back.
Best of all this one looks like a decent price at around $40.

Andrew Gibson
06-26-2010, 3:52 PM
Hay Jim, Welcome to the Creek!

Michael Arruda
06-26-2010, 4:58 PM
I used to carry a Gerber multitool, their top of the line. After 8 years, day in, day out use, first in college for theatre work then carpentry and daily task work, it died. The rubber fell off long ago and the screws holding it together fell out and got lost. It came apart in my pocket. Many good memories, but I wouldn't buy another one- my next will probably be a SOG tool.

As far as knives go, my dad was obsessed with Buck back when they had their factory down near San Diego. He'd go down there and buy factory direct at the outlet once a month or so. As a result, I have about 10 made in America Buck knives that I carry- one or two at a time, not all at once. :) I think alot of their newer stuff is offshore production- I wouldn't buy one not stamped USA on the blade. Also, I think their quality went down after the factory move- it was around the same time that Wal-Mart started carrying them. If you go with a Buck, don't get a Wal-mart model. :)

-Michael

John Schreiber
06-26-2010, 5:12 PM
What do you guys look for in a pocket knife?

I carry a Swiss Army type and I probably use the screwdrivers on my knife as often as I use the blade and I have never needed a lock back or a one hand opening rig. It's not a survival knife or a combat knife, it's a handy tool to keep in my pocket. So many of the knives you guys like only have one big blade, persuade me why I should change my approach.

Tony Shea
06-26-2010, 5:24 PM
Good thread with great timing. I also am in the market for a new pocket knife as my everyday carry knife is just not keeping an edge well enough for my taste. It is just a basic Klein (electrician tool brand) folder with a pocket clip. I absolutely love the shape, feel, and the pocket clip of this knife but just can't get past that the blade sucks.

I would absolutely love some great suggestions based on the design of my original Klein knife but with a much better quality blade. I don't know much of anything about knives and don't want to spend upward of a $100 on a knife that turns out to be overpriced, which is what I feel of some of the Benchmade models. Their name is recieving a hefty price for some of their knives that I think are undiserving. I am not claiming this to be true of all their knives though as I've seen and read of some real beauty's that they make. But then I've seen some that weren't so nice. I am just in bad need of another decent pocket knife that is going to hold an edge a little better.

David Cefai
06-26-2010, 5:45 PM
2" Swiss Army Knife in my pocket, 4" one in my Briefcase and a 5" one in my toolbox. All Victorinox.

Andrew Gibson
06-26-2010, 5:46 PM
What do you guys look for in a pocket knife?

I carry a Swiss Army type and I probably use the screwdrivers on my knife as often as I use the blade and I have never needed a lock back or a one hand opening rig. It's not a survival knife or a combat knife, it's a handy tool to keep in my pocket. So many of the knives you guys like only have one big blade, persuade me why I should change my approach.

John, I tend to like a single blade because I perfer a thinner knife. I also perfer a taller blade, which intern encourages a bit of a longer blade. With the benchmite I found I think the best of both worlds, tho after 2 I am ready for something new and a bit more "formal." the blade on the benchmite is a shade under 2" long.
I have carried 2 different model Swiss army knives in the past, and felt they were overkill for me. My first knife was a small stockman by old timer, I got it because my dad has always carried a medium stockman and I wanted to be like him.

I also Like Knives that have a bit of a trick to them, and I just like the looks of a Gentleman's knife. Sadly I sometimes think of my knife as a fashion accessory. I guess if I'm going to carry it all the time I want something fun to play with.

Ooh, I was always afraid I was going to loose the toothpick in my Swiss army knife.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-26-2010, 6:41 PM
I carried a small Old Timer, made in the USA, for years. I lost it and bought a new Buck knife, also made in the USA, and really like it. A few days after purchasing the Buck I found my Old Timer under my favorite Lazy Boy. Now I carry the Buck when I carry a knife.

Andrew Gibson
06-26-2010, 8:56 PM
I always have to have a knife in my pocket, otherwise I drift to the left when I walk...

Tony Zaffuto
06-26-2010, 9:01 PM
I'm naked without a knife! My favorite folders are Henkel (made by Boker in Germany) Whittler, Case Half Whittlers, Case 2 blade Medium Stockmans and all things Barlow.

I like my knives no longer than about 3-1/2" long, and not too thick, hence the two blade whittler style. I also like carbon steel for the blade. I have more than a few Swiss Army knives and one Leatherman-type knife, but I prefer the good old traditional folder style.

Currently there is a renaissance in American pocket knife makers, with some of the better known maker names such as Queen, Shatt & Morgan, Utica, Great Eastern Cuttlery, Bear, Colonel Coon.

Finally, about 2 or 3 years ago I was looking for Christmas presents for my older daughter's boy friends at a local Walmart. While looking over pocket knives, the clerk pulled out a box that looked much older than the rest. Turned out to be a USA Buck folder. Asked if he he had more just like it, and he had two more. Two for the boys and one for me! Good old all American gloat, compliments of Sam Walton!

Jon Toebbe
06-26-2010, 9:13 PM
I always have wanted to have a knife I could make wooden scales for.
If that's the case, you might want to poke around here (http://www.knifekits.com/). No affiliation, and I'm sure there are other suppliers, but I was very pleased with the liner lock folder kit (DDR3? can't recall exactly) they sold me a few years ago. The lockup was solid, the blade held a good edge, it was a fun project, and it made a handsome gift. :) It looks like they have a few new designs for sale... hmm, I may have to start a new project or two myself.

That said, my EDC pocket knife is a Benchmade Griptillian. It clips securely to my back pocket, is ambidextrous, and very comfortable in the hand. Prior to that, I carried a stainless-steel scaled Spyderco Delica. Flash, but a bit heavy in the pocket. That one got "donated" to a TSA trash can. :mad:

My Griptillian gets used mostly for opening packages, but has also been pressed into duty as a make-do marking knife in the workshop from time to time. Clipped to your pocket, it's just too darn handy not to reach for.

Sean Hughto
06-26-2010, 10:00 PM
It seems like the first issue is what uses one is going to make of the knife. Different shapes and sizes - not to mention metals best suit different uses. My most used knife is likely my Oar Carver as I like to carve.

Thomas Canfield
06-26-2010, 10:09 PM
I have carried a 3" 3 bladed stockman for the last 30+ years for general use and a small Victorinox for its sissors, nail file, and tweezers. My current Stockman is a Buck 303T that replaced a Schrade that I lost about 10 years ago. I prefer the 3" size to have enough to handle, but not be too bulky to carry in pants pocket. I think that the only times I have not carried a knife was during the 4th grade when they were outlawed (could carry earlier and later back then) and lately on airplanes and inside government buildings.

brian c miller
06-26-2010, 11:50 PM
I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek. It's a great blade and made in the US. They have lifetime warranty & free sharpening but I am guessing the people in this forum should know how to put an edge on steel. They also make a Chive and a scallion both of which one inch shorter.

Here's the link.
http://www.kershawknives.com/images/products/kershaw/1660st_large.png
http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=60&brand=kershaw

I am thinking about getting the re-issue of the "random task" as well. I like KIA's steel (Have a set of Shun / Ken Onion Kaji Fusion kitchen knives as well)

http://www.kershawknives.com/images/products/kershaw/1515_large.png
http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=523&brand=kershaw

Rick Markham
06-27-2010, 3:39 AM
Andrew, this is my daily carry, and my shop knife, it even has a hook for it right over my workbench for easy reach. I know a whole lot of people who are fans of benchmade knives, and don't care for spyderco. Never understood why exactly, my spyderco has outlived all of my benchmade knives. I bought this one in '94, it has never needed to be sharpened, in fact I honestly have never had a pocket knife even remotely as sharp. I know some folks don't like full serrations on their pocket knives, but I have never found a time when the serrations were a hinderance. Just my $.02 ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/008-2.jpg

thomas prusak
06-27-2010, 4:21 AM
Check out the BRADLEY ALIAS Knives. S30V steel is the best blade steel in my opinion. Also Check out any of the PAUL KIVES. axial locking mechanism is the strongest lock made. Plus it is a one handed open and close.

Chris Kennedy
06-27-2010, 6:39 AM
I carry a Gerber multi-tool -- the smallest one, I think. I use it all the time and can't think of being without it. I have used every functionality it has.

Cheers,

Chris

Jason Roehl
06-27-2010, 8:25 AM
Serrations are great because they tend to stay sharp longer--the tips of the serrations dull first because they are more likely to come in contact with a hard surface, but the deeper portions of the serrations don't, so they don't get dull. They're also much better at cutting braided-cable-type materials, like rope or vehicle battery cables (if you ever have to put out an engine fire, you should get the battery disconnected quickly to reduce the likelihood of re-ignition or a short that causes the battery to burst).

BTW, S30V steel is in that table I to which I linked above--that's what my next blade will be made of. An ex-Special Forces guy I know turned me on to it when he let me briefly use his knife, which he said he had used extensively for several years without sharpening, and it was still razor sharp.

Paul Greathouse
06-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Am I the only one that still carries what I would call a traditional pocket knife? I been carrying a 3 blade Buck for years.

What got me started on the Buck was that it was the only knife I can remember my Grandfather having. He was a Carpenter by trade, so if it was good enough for him, its good enough for me. When he passed away I asked for his knife, I still have it today. I don't carry it, its just something to remember him by.

Casey Gooding
06-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I also don't care for a large knife to carry around. I always go back to the Old Timer. Every once-in-a-while I come across one. I've had good luck finding them at older Ace or True Value hardware stores. Usually the ones that have been around forever have hidden gems all around the store.

harry strasil
06-27-2010, 11:11 AM
I stop at any old Hdwe store, especially in small out of the way towns. They are usually hand tool heaven. The ones with the old style cabinet doors with merchandise hanging on the doors are a virtual gold mine for handtoolers usually.

Jim Koepke
06-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Ooh, I was always afraid I was going to loose the toothpick in my Swiss army knife.

I have never lost the toothpick, but have lost the tweezers. Many of the stores that sell Swiss army knives also carry spare parts.

I used to always break the springs on the scissors when I rolled my own cigarettes. Last time I bought a half a dozen of them. That will likely last a life time since my smoking habit has stopped.

jim

Tom Vanzant
06-27-2010, 12:25 PM
I carry a Sam McDowell Collector with a 2 1/8" drop-point blade and bone scales. It's light and easy on pockets. I use it for everything from paring fruit to sharpening pencils and opening sacks of fertilizer. Yes, I do wash it well.
Surgical steel takes a keen edge, but I found the edge lasts longer if you hone it on a scraper steel.

Dan Carroll
06-27-2010, 9:01 PM
I thought this was an appropriate place to ask this question as I use my pocket knife in the shop all the time, and it definitely qualifies as a hand tool. Pocket knives are a bit of a tradition in my family. My dad got me my first for my 10th birthday (an old timer). He got his on his 10 birthday, etc

The reason for asking is I am in the market for a knew pocket knife.
the one I want right now is a Benchmade 10700 http://www.benchmade.com/products/10700. I have owned a couple of Benchmade knives now. Both a black class and red class benchmite. The only problem I have with the 10700 is it is a red class knife and has Chinese steel. $100 for a Chinese knife sounds steep, but I do like the style.
I loved both my benchmites but they just tend to get lost a little to easily. My last one disappeared a few weeks ago. I am pretty sure it jumped out of my pocket at a restaurant. Anyway time for something new.

What is your favorite brand and/or model pocket knife for every day carry.

I'm not a big fan of liner locks, but I do generally perfer a single locking blade. I also tend to like a pocket clip but I can easily live without one if the knife is right.

So, whats your pleasure?

I have a CUTCO that was a freebe when my wife bought some kitchen knives. Surprisingly, I like it a great deal and have been carring it for about 6 years now. The stainless steel takes a while to put an edge on it, but it holds one for ages and the extra heft is nice. Just two blades, nothing fancy but it is now a permant replacement for the Case I used to carry.

Jim Hoti
06-27-2010, 10:41 PM
since I was 6. Granddad gave me my first Barlow. Over the many years since, I have learned there is no perfect knife for everybody. I basically carry 4 different ones, depending on what I'm doing. All of them are lockblades, mainly because I have a scar from a blade closing unexpectedly on me. First up is the Case Mini Copperlock. Nice flat single blade pocket knife that doesn't offend anyone at the office when I use it. Second is a Kershaw 4380 that I use when I am whittling/carving wood. Third is a Case Copperlock (full-size) when I am going out after work, and lastly is a Kershaw Blackout knife that I use for scraping, cutting, poking, whatever is needed in the shop.

Now, if you were to ask me what I perceive as the absolute best single blade production folder? Easy, the Chris Reeve Small Sebenza knife. At $380 it better be, but once you handle one, you'll understand.

Joshua Culp
06-27-2010, 10:58 PM
+1 for the Kershaw Ken Onion Leek, and the Victorinox with the philips instead of the corkscrew - it's called the Tinkerer model I think.

And of course, the old Buck's from my Dad - but they're too sentimental to carry and risk losing.

If any of you like the Paul Knives (currently made by Lone Wolf Knives) because of the unique locking mechanism, then you should also check out the Van Hoy Snap Lock made by CRKT.

george wilson
06-27-2010, 11:45 PM
I make my own,but My favorite OLD knife was the Puma CARBON STEEL 4 blade stockman,not the newer stainless steel ones(which may not currently be made). They were about $200.00. These real new Pumas are a totally cheaper build.

Unfortunately,my valuable pocket knife collection vanished when we moved here. The movers stole them,but I took some years to get fully unpacked due to building shelves first,so it wouldn't do any good to report the loss. I also had a collection of valuable books go missing.

I currently carry an antique Scottish pocket knife. The main blade was worn so I made a blade from ball bearing steel.

Bruce Branson
06-28-2010, 4:58 PM
These are most of the ones I have been using for the past few years.And I have more.:DThe free one from Woodcraft may be my favorite now.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8466/pocketknives.jpg
Shot at 2010-06-28

Rich Dill
06-28-2010, 5:10 PM
My favorite pocket knife is a Camilus, USA made boy scout knife I was given when I was 11.

Bruce Volden
06-28-2010, 7:49 PM
Wow!!! So many pocket knives, I didn't realize that there was anything else but Marbles. Lightweight, anti slip, thumb opening yada yada yada. Oh it's the pocket safety folder #80906.

Bruce

Steve Bagi
06-28-2010, 8:06 PM
My current EDC is a Spyderco Dragonfly

http://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/med/C28G_M.jpg

I also like the Urban's Wharncliffe style blade

http://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/med/C127OR_M.jpg

I could never get used to carrying anything with a blade larger than 3". Too much weight, and usually too big a blade for delicate tasks.

Russ Hauser
06-28-2010, 8:11 PM
This is my carry knife. I've had it for more years that I can remember. The main blade had worn down to about half it's original width and could no longer be sharpened or honed because of the edge becoming too thick. The knife has to be long out of waranty, but I sent it to Victorinox's repair facility and asked them to send me an estimate for the replacement of the blade. Never heard from them. Today the knife showed up at the door with a new blade, new sissors, and new scales, free of charge. Can't beat that. Now I feel whole again.

Jason Roehl
06-28-2010, 9:02 PM
Russ, all those replaced parts were probably much cheaper than the (deserved) free advertisement/endorsement they just got!

Bruce Branson
06-28-2010, 9:08 PM
The small black Buck knife in my photo is a replacement.I sent Buck a old broken one to be repaired and they no longer had the parts to fix it so they sent me a new model free of charge.

Carl Maeda-San Diego
06-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Spyderco knives are my favorite all-around knives.
I also like the Kershaw Speedsafe knives
Not a big fan of Benchmade although I do have 1 Benchmade knife.
I also like Buck Knives, at least when they used to be made in the USA.

Tom Scott
06-29-2010, 12:08 AM
I tend to go for the German knives, and more specifically with stag handles. My current daily carry toggles between a Kissing Crane, Hen & Rooster and Eye Brand. Those are smaller 2, 3 and 4 blade folders that are easy to carry.
I also have the old Buck, Case and others. And, of course, there are the hunting knives...

Chuck Tringo
06-29-2010, 6:48 AM
I've gone through a number of pocket knives, multi-tools and fixed blade knives over my past 14+ years in the Army and have decided long ago that my favorites by far are Victorinox Swiss Army (Wegner makes Swiss Army label as well, but I don't like them as much). I have found that through daily use in not so nice conditions, the Victorinox comes sharper than anything I have owned out of the box and holds its edge far longer than others I haves used (CKRT, SOG, Gerber, Winchester, Shrade, Leatherman and a few more that I don't recall). I like have about 4 or five right now in various places (shop, car, tackle box, junk drawer). I like to carry one that at least has short and long straight blades, but also use serrated edge and scissors quite a bit. As far as multi tools, I gave up on Gerber long ago, they do not take a beating and I have broken numerous blades, files and scissors off of them. At work I now carry a Victorinox branded multi-tool which came with me on 2 deployments to Iraq and is still hasn't needed sharpening yet nor have I broke so much as the tip of a blade. I also have a SOG which I like quite a bit and keep in the glove box of my car, but it lacks scissors so the Victorinox is my go to tool. As for fixed blades, a 7 inch K-Bar with leather grip and sheath.

Thomas Nye
06-29-2010, 7:05 AM
I love any knives made by CRK ( Chris Reeve Knives ). I have carried the Mnandi, Sebenza, and my current favorite is the Umnumzaan. Toughest folder I have ever owned. I even used it as a scraper plane which fits right in on this site.......Enjoy !

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/nyefmaker/IMG_2975.jpg

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/nyefmaker/IMG_2976.jpg

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/nyefmaker/IMG_0152.jpg

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/nyefmaker/IMG_0151.jpg

Chris Griggs
06-29-2010, 2:01 PM
Gerber makes what is essentially a utility knife in the body of a very small, very flat, locking pocket knife. In the past I preferred a more standard locking knife, but I loved this little thing until I lost it. Been meaning to get another.

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/411

Eric DeSilva
06-29-2010, 2:24 PM
I can't stand carrying things in my pocket. And, I've never really thought of a knife as something to carry 24x7. I tend to have a small folding knife (usually a CRKT or small spyderco) is a drawer/glove compartment nearby, so maybe that is why I've never seen the use.

I'll usually carry a little Atwood tool on my keychain, however. The normal one is this guy:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wVWOlWYv4a4/StClXC3zPJI/AAAAAAAABWA/aBoe2cfTHE8/s320/chiggergrinds.jpg

and on the truck keychain, this guy:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wVWOlWYv4a4/Sv7mW4EBdwI/AAAAAAAABYw/36b51KwTTbg/s1600/g3shorty.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wVWOlWYv4a4/StClXC3zPJI/AAAAAAAABWA/aBoe2cfTHE8/s1600-h/chiggergrinds.jpg

Sean Nagle
06-29-2010, 4:31 PM
I've had one of these in my pocket for most of 20 years now.
http://www.swissarmy.com/images/ProductCatalog/vm/vm_53101_sol_a02.jpg

I've been carrying one of these for some 20 years too. It's the best assortment of devices for me. The smaller blade is for opening boxes and misc cutting. I reserve the large blade for cutting fruit :) The screw drivers, particularly the Phillips, are very handy. The bottle opener is a must to have for beer bottles since microbrew bottle caps do not screw off. Never had much need for the leather punch though.

Doesn't seem as if anyone had much of an argument for convincing John to switch to something else.

James Carmichael
06-29-2010, 5:34 PM
Buck Stockman

Frederick Gross
06-29-2010, 5:54 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/usmcbombboy/STRIDERS/XLBFF6.jpg

The rotation....

Steve Bagi
06-29-2010, 8:43 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/usmcbombboy/STRIDERS/XLBFF6.jpg

The rotation....

Those Striders are sweet. Some serious coin too.

Tony Shea
06-29-2010, 9:07 PM
Good god that is a sweet line-up of Striders. That is a nice charge of cash sitting right there that pretty much takes the cake for best in show. I've always wanted a Strider but never really justified it. A good buddy of mine owns one and I have had the luxury of messing with it. Very well made tools.

I have been looking into the Benchmade Griptilian mini 556 (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_lgshot.asp?sku=pd675) as of late and think I am going to pull the trigger. What are anyone's opinion on this knife and has anyone owned one personally?

Steve Bagi
06-30-2010, 9:14 AM
Good god that is a sweet line-up of Striders. That is a nice charge of cash sitting right there that pretty much takes the cake for best in show. I've always wanted a Strider but never really justified it. A good buddy of mine owns one and I have had the luxury of messing with it. Very well made tools.

I have been looking into the Benchmade Griptilian mini 556 (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_lgshot.asp?sku=pd675) as of late and think I am going to pull the trigger. What are anyone's opinion on this knife and has anyone owned one personally?

The Mini Grip is nice. The AXIS lock is super smooth. The only thing I don't like is the handle. It just doesn't fit my hand very well. The diamond pattern on the scales is a little too aggressive, tends to tear up your pocket after awhile. I find Spyderco's to be a bit more ergonomic. They just seem to fit my hand better. It's a personal thing. If you like the Mini Grip's size, check out the Spyderco Delica:

http://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/med/C11BBK_M.jpg

Steven DeMars
06-30-2010, 9:30 AM
I like ATWOOD designs very much, but every time I venture to his page I get frustrated. I do not have the patience to sit and wait weeks or months for an unknown product to be released & then beg the maker to take my money if I am lucky enough to be chosen as worthy of purchasing from him. Perhaps someone else will crank up a CNC with as much imagination.

Now it looks like you have to MySpace, FaceBook, Blog & all that other time waster digital B.S. is nessasary to even be on the "you might be considered" list . . .

In the meantime, RANDALL, Cordova, Benchmade, Gerber, Buck & Reeve will have to suffice . . .

Steve:)

I can't stand carrying things in my pocket. And, I've never really thought of a knife as something to carry 24x7. I tend to have a small folding knife (usually a CRKT or small spyderco) is a drawer/glove compartment nearby, so maybe that is why I've never seen the use.

I'll usually carry a little Atwood tool on my keychain, however. The normal one is this guy:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wVWOlWYv4a4/StClXC3zPJI/AAAAAAAABWA/aBoe2cfTHE8/s320/chiggergrinds.jpg

and on the truck keychain, this guy:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wVWOlWYv4a4/Sv7mW4EBdwI/AAAAAAAABYw/36b51KwTTbg/s1600/g3shorty.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wVWOlWYv4a4/StClXC3zPJI/AAAAAAAABWA/aBoe2cfTHE8/s1600-h/chiggergrinds.jpg

Richard Jones
07-01-2010, 2:52 PM

Tony,

I also like the 556, plain edge. I removed the clip and sanded the grip a bit, as it will rip your pants up pretty bad if not tamed somewhat. 154CM is sweet steel. Hard to go wrong with this knife.

I also carry a Delica sometimes, but I don't like it as much as the BM...........

Rich

Jon Toebbe
07-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I EDC a full-size Griptillian, and love it. I was originally planning to buy the Mini, but it just felt a little too short in the hand. My previous EDC, the Spyderco Savage still gets a lot of use -- very handy, ergonomic, and ambidextrous. The index-finger cutout on the Savage made its smaller blade both secure and comfortable to use.

Pat Keefe
07-02-2010, 2:18 AM
Currently I carry a Leatherman "Surge" on my belt at work. Even though I am officially office staff, it gets used daily for a multiple of items. The office girls know that it is on my belt and when they need something cut or tweaked with the tools, I get the call to assist. I have also carried Cold Steel, Victorinox, Spyderco, Gerber & Kincrome (replaceable Blade) since I was a kid, but the knife laws in Australia are somewhat restrictive and single bladed knives frowned upon by the constabulary.

Most now reside in a locked weapon box, along with the fixed blade brethren - KaBar, Kukri, mainly bayonets and combat knives etc.

In my shed I have various marking knives and a hacking knife (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12597), which can do almost everything in the shed:rolleyes:

Rich Engelhardt
07-02-2010, 7:31 AM
Benchmade Leopard Cub here.
It's an older Pat Crawford design.

For "dress up" I have a Darrel Ralph Krait or a Microtech...

Day in day out/around the shop/job site knife is one of those folding utility knives clipped in my front pocket & an old Schrade Old timer three blade in the back pocket.

& yes - I'm a serious Knife Knut..:D
Must have a couple hundred scattered around the house.

Eric DeSilva
07-02-2010, 7:51 AM
It is kind of a PITA, but for me it wasn't a big deal--I have an RSS reader that self-updates on one of my screens at work, so it is pretty obvious when something pops up. He doesn't do volume, and I think, at least, he is trying to be fair.