PDA

View Full Version : Mulberry

David E Keller
06-25-2010, 9:44 PM
This is the last of these for now... I promise;). This is mulberry from a local tree guy, and this will be gifted back to him for the free wood. I may not do any more of these until the hollowing set up gets here... The little sorby midi hollow master works fine, but my arms get pretty tired doing these. Plus, I only have the curved one which makes some of the work near the bottom pretty tough.

About 6 inches tall. Walls about 3/16. Finished with shellac and oil. Comments and criticism appreciated.

John Keeton
06-25-2010, 9:47 PM
David, I have sworn off HF until the MONSTER arrives!! Actually, I probably won't get much lathe time in until I get some bookshelves built for Ms. Keeton!!

Nice work on this one. I like the Mulberry, and I actually have a couple of small pieces of it in the barn. This makes me want to get them out to see what they will do!!

Baxter Smith
06-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Good job. I can see you are getting the hang of hollowing!

Jeff Willard
06-25-2010, 10:24 PM
This makes me want to get them out to see what they will do!!

Put it under a black light.

Allen Neighbors
06-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Love the form on this hollowform. Well done. You don't have to apologize for posting pics of your work. We all enjoy them... :D
Do you keep your photo tent set up all the time?

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Very nice form on this one as well! You're doing pretty good on these hollow forms! Looking forward to the next one!

Leo Van Der Loo
06-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Nice David, and they will get to look much better when the color matures, I do like Mulberry for just that.

John Hart
06-26-2010, 8:09 AM
Beautiful form David. I do get the sensation that there is some uneveness in the curve of the main body...although, that could just be the picture. I love mulberry...and especially like the fact that it grows like a weed around here. Plenty of turning stock!:)

Nicely done...Keep 'em coming:)

Michelle Rich
06-26-2010, 8:26 AM
nice wood..my monitor makes it look like stone??? interesting look...thanks for sharing with us

charlie knighton
06-26-2010, 8:37 AM
very nice, i wish mulberry would stay that color

David E Keller
06-26-2010, 9:56 AM
Beautiful form David. I do get the sensation that there is some uneveness in the curve of the main body...although, that could just be the picture. I love mulberry...and especially like the fact that it grows like a weed around here. Plenty of turning stock!:)

Nicely done...Keep 'em coming:)

I think you are right, John. My struggle continues with obtaining a 'perfect' curve. The recent form posted by Mr. Burns gives me something to shoot for... I just keep going back and drooling over that long and graceful curve. I'm afraid that my personal physique is shining through on these... I'm not very tall, and I'm a bit wider than I probably should be with the occasional lumpy area! Maybe it's a bit like what they say about people and their pets.:D

Love the form on this hollowform. Well done. You don't have to apologize for posting pics of your work. We all enjoy them... :D
Do you keep your photo tent set up all the time?

I don't have the tent set up continuously, and I really don't enjoy taking pictures. I got it out yesterday hence the barrage of photos of some recent turnings.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2010, 10:22 AM
David that is a beauty. Really nice form.

George Morris
06-26-2010, 10:27 AM
David I love the form, Great work.G

Harvey Ghesser
06-26-2010, 1:28 PM
Another beauty, David! Thanks for sharing!:D