PDA

View Full Version : Sugar bush burl

David E Keller
06-25-2010, 9:03 PM
Here's a fun little piece of wood that I got from Bert Solis in a wood swap. I believe he said this is sugar bush burl. Some areas of the wood almost look like they've been burned. I can't remember if he said this was salvaged from a fire or not. It's about 5.5 inches tall and 3.5 wide and finished with a coat of shellac then only one coat of oil so far. Comments and criticism appreciated.

It's beautiful wood. Thank you Bert!:D

154280 154279

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2010, 9:03 PM
Now that is one cool piece. Well done.

John Keeton
06-25-2010, 9:22 PM
Really a nice piece, David. I love the rustic warmth of it, and the form is clean. The color and dark edges of the voids go together great.

Baxter Smith
06-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Very nice piece.

Jeff Willard
06-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Handsome hunk-o-timber, but wassa sugarbush?

Allen Neighbors
06-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Beautiful work! Looks like the outside turned inside... or something like that... maybe a wooden geode. :D

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Now that's cool! Love the wood, the color and the natural voids! This one really grabs your attention! Very nice work - keep it up!

Leo Van Der Loo
06-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Here's a fun little piece of wood that I got from Bert Solis in a wood swap. I believe he said this is sugar bush burl. Some areas of the wood almost look like they've been burned. I can't remember if he said this was salvaged from a fire or not. It's about 5.5 inches tall and 3.5 wide and finished with a coat of shellac then only one coat of oil so far. Comments and criticism appreciated.

It's beautiful wood. Thank you Bert!:D

154280 154279

Neat David, and I had to find out what sugar bush wood was of course :)

Learned something new again, there are a few stories about it's qualities, but look under Rush ovata, to find it, everybody else wants to make Maple syrup :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhus_ovata

Bert Solis
06-26-2010, 12:33 AM
David, Nice very nice, great lines through the voids, just love to turn this stuff.
I have one for you if you would like to try a bit larger.
Thank you for participating in the "swap" that was lot of fun to get wood from fellow creekers.
I could not post a picture but it is in an album posted today.

Dick Rowe
06-26-2010, 5:36 AM
Very nice.

I see you guys turning that stuff and wonder if I will ever get even half way to that skill level.

John Hart
06-26-2010, 7:27 AM
Around these parts...Sugarbush is maple...but I guess that might be a misnomer eh?
Cool form from nice wood David. Don't you love how these open pieces don't clog up with shavings as you're turning?:)

charlie knighton
06-26-2010, 8:42 AM
very nice, thanks for learning me about sugarbush :D

David E Keller
06-26-2010, 9:47 AM
Handsome hunk-o-timber, but wassa sugarbush?

I'd never heard of it until I received this piece. The link that Leo provided is a good start. I understand that these things don't burn. When there are wild fires, I'm under the impression that these plants are often among the only things left standing.

It's a hard timber and a bit on the dusty side when turned, but the coloring is fantastic.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!