PDA

View Full Version : My First HF

David E Keller
06-25-2010, 8:53 PM
Here's another of the projects I did while taking the course with Jimmy Clewes. It's ash with an ebony collar and measures 8.5 by 5.5. Finished with paste wax. Comments and critiques appreciated.
154278 154277

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2010, 9:01 PM
David that is a beauty. I really like the form of it.

John Keeton
06-25-2010, 9:33 PM
David, I like the two woods together, and I like the form as well. On the collar, and the area just under the collar, I am just not sure. May be a little to much "lift" below the collar, and the collar may be a little pronounced for my tastes.

That said, it is very well done, and a beautiful piece. In fairness, the vase forms just don't do much for me - though they are very popular.

Brian Greb
06-25-2010, 9:37 PM
Nice form, great execution.... I like it.

Question though: What's your wall thickness like?
nother question: Are ya hooked on HF yet?
One last one: How did ya like turning that ash?

Keep up the good work, and happy cutting!

John Hart
06-25-2010, 9:40 PM
This is your first HF?

Ummmm....you gotta be kidding!!

heh heh.....You're kidding....I just know it.

I'm just going to go get something to eat...and I'll be back. You can retract your statement...and I'll check in again.

First HF.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha:D My sides are aching! (whew!)....good one.

David E Keller
06-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Nice form, great execution.... I like it.

Question though: What's your wall thickness like?
nother question: Are ya hooked on HF yet?
One last one: How did ya like turning that ash?

Keep up the good work, and happy cutting!

Walls about 3/16.
Yeah, I'm kinda hooked at the moment.
The ash was pretty wet, and I thought it was really nice to turn.

Thanks for the comments.

David E Keller
06-25-2010, 10:04 PM
David, I like the two woods together, and I like the form as well. On the collar, and the area just under the collar, I am just not sure. May be a little to much "lift" below the collar, and the collar may be a little pronounced for my tastes.

That said, it is very well done, and a beautiful piece. In fairness, the vase forms just don't do much for me - though they are very popular.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with your assessment of the collar area. It also has a funny looking little flat area that I didn't notice until I parted it off.

David E Keller
06-25-2010, 10:07 PM
This is your first HF?

Ummmm....you gotta be kidding!!...

I've done a few enclosed forms with openings smaller than the widest point of the piece, but this is the first thing that I would consider a HF. Remember this was done under the direct supervision of a master wood turner. Only Keeton could crank out an amazing form by himself on the first go 'round.

Brian Greb
06-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Walls about 3/16.
Yeah, I'm kinda hooked at the moment.
The ash was pretty wet, and I thought it was really nice to turn.

Thanks for the comments.

Oh it was wet ash... that makes it a ton easier.

Baxter Smith
06-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Nice lookin piece! If this was your first HF - the class must have been a good one!

David DeCristoforo
06-25-2010, 10:46 PM
"It...has a funny looking little flat area that I didn't notice until I parted it off."

OK. I thought it was just me. Why is is that you don't notice these things until after you have parted it off? I was thinking maybe it's because things look different when they are horizontal. So I tried lying on the floor but the lathe bed blocked my line of sight. Now I'm thinking about maybe some kind of sling or something with mirrors. (Don't go getting this all out of context now...)

PS Nice looking "first try"...

Allen Neighbors
06-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Nice one, David... for an Okie, anyway... :D
Just kidding. I like the black background, too.

David E Keller
06-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Nice one, David... for an Okie, anyway... :D
Just kidding. I like the black background, too.

I'm actually an Arkie living as an Okie, but I doubt that helps.:D

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 11:23 PM
David - very impressive work - especially considering it is your first HF! Love the form but to be honest - don't feel the piece needs the collar at all. Just me, I'm sure, but you sure nailed the form on this one!

Looking forward to seeing some more of your hollow forms real soon!

David Walser
06-26-2010, 1:18 AM
David,

That's a very nice vase. You should be proud.

Jamie Straw
06-26-2010, 2:21 AM
Very, very cool -- I like the collar touch. It's posts like these ("My first _______") that make me look for a rock to crawl under.:D Nice job, David!

John Hart
06-26-2010, 7:04 AM
I've done a few enclosed forms with openings smaller than the widest point of the piece, but this is the first thing that I would consider a HF. Remember this was done under the direct supervision of a master wood turner. Only Keeton could crank out an amazing form by himself on the first go 'round.

Well David...I have to say that I am a bit envious. Yes...John Keeton is a natural...as are folks like Keith Burns and a few others I can think of. And despite your hands on instruction, I think this exemplary work shows that you possess the same intuitive abilities as those others. I can see great things in your future.
Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't give up my gradual learning curve, with all the ooopsies and explosions along the way....but you've shown here what a significant difference good education will make.
No doubt that your future posts will be a treat to everyone.

Oh...nice "first" HF. :)

Dennis Ford
06-26-2010, 7:47 AM
It would be a good hollow form, 1st or 50th. I like the form and the collar. The curve just under the collar could be a little more pronounced but it works as is.
I am curious about how the collar was attached. I am assuming that the ash was still wet when the collar was attached. Did you do anything special to prevent shrinkage problems?

charlie knighton
06-26-2010, 8:40 AM
very nice....good class

Thom Sturgill
06-26-2010, 8:53 AM
Very nice, even if under the master's tutelage. I agree the area under the lip is a little flat and would have been improved with a little curve. I picture, even if just from your phone, can be rotated to get a vertical appearance before parting off. And that's a hard learned lesson! I've started taking the item off the lathe still in the chuck to view it standing.

David E Keller
06-26-2010, 9:39 AM
It would be a good hollow form, 1st or 50th. I like the form and the collar. The curve just under the collar could be a little more pronounced but it works as is.
I am curious about how the collar was attached. I am assuming that the ash was still wet when the collar was attached. Did you do anything special to prevent shrinkage problems?

Dennis, the main form was turned end grain from a log section early on the second day and then collar fitted the following day. I think wood dries pretty quickly in the Nevada desert. The collar fits into a slight recess much like a box lid and then was re-turned to smooth the transition on the inside. I would have never thought to do that, but it seems that the first thing everybody does when picking it up is to stick a finger into the opening.:eek:

The collar is held in place with a few drops of thick CA, and the whole thing looks better in the photo than it does in real life.

I appreciate all of the feedback.

Bill Bolen
06-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Love the form! That beautiful curve top to bottom can be hard to get right and you nailed it...Bil..

Harvey Ghesser
06-26-2010, 1:02 PM
That is just a beautiful form, David.

If I may...."beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Gorgeous form!

Tim Rinehart
06-26-2010, 10:16 PM
That is a nice HF, good flow of shape on outside, but I'm in agreement with most about the collar.

If you just like the contrast of wood, it may work better to have a flat collar that could also provide transition for a finial....oh yea...I had my fun-time with finial-less HFs...but now that I've been ...ahem..."Inspired", I feel the pull to see what kind of finial work I can do to augment the HFs.

You'll know you've been sucked in to finial work when you crank out a quickie HF just to play with a finial design in your head!

Great work, can't wait to see your HFs.

Sure does alot to refine your tool technique after working with Jimmy...doesn't it!

James Combs
06-26-2010, 11:07 PM
I think it is great just the way it is. What kind of hollowing rig do you use?

David E Keller
06-27-2010, 12:55 AM
I think it is great just the way it is. What kind of hollowing rig do you use?

I don't have a rig yet, but I should have that corrected shortly. I did this piece when I was in Las Vegas at a course, and it was done with a hollowpro which is basically a handheld bar with a small adjustable round carbide cutter. I liked the tool, but I chose to order the monster articulated system instead.

Thanks to all for commenting.

Keith Burns
06-27-2010, 4:49 PM
David, if I were able to take a class from anyone Jimmy would be the one. You chose wisely.

Now to the HF. I agree with the comments on the collar, but that being said...............................you did a GREAT job.