PDA

View Full Version : Is there a glue that will bond PVC to wood?* Long*

Tim Morton
11-30-2004, 8:57 PM
I won't go into all the details, but I printed a 3 piece wall sized mural for a clients room and mounted the print to a commercial PVC product called Sintra, and then mounted the sinctra to 3 4x8 sheets of MDO that is french cleated to a wall. All is holding up well except that on one of the edges where the PVC is designed to overlap the MDO, I am getting some release. I would like to peal it back ( its about 3" wide and runs the whole length) put some glue between the 2 and then maybe screw a bowed 2x4 to the print at the seam while it dries. problem is that if i pick the wrong glue and it doesn't work i may have to take the whole thing down and start over....Gorilla glue may work, i have tested it...but the squeeze out is not desirable. PL2000 and liquid nails will not work, and cove molding glue won't hold either. Just looking for ideas here...There is no real weight that it needs to hold...just needs to bond well and be pretty thin.

Steve Cox
11-30-2004, 9:28 PM
Two part marine epoxy? I have not tried it for an application like this but it usually bonds dissimilar materials.

Charlie Plesums
11-30-2004, 10:05 PM
I second the vote for epoxy.

I invented replacement feet for some metal outdoor chairs using the rounded end from PVC plumbing caps, and epoxied them to the flat bottom of the chair legs. 8 years later and the epoxy is still holding the PVC "feet" under pretty heavy stress.

Rob Littleton
11-30-2004, 10:42 PM
http://www.thistothat.com/

not sure if this has what you are looking for but worth a look

Phil Phelps
12-01-2004, 9:35 AM
Tim, I use Sintra and Komatex all the time. I vote with the epoxy. Just a dab of five minute Enduro epoxy gel works fine. When I mount Sintra to MDF I use a commercial contact cement, Sta-Put.

Jamie Buxton
12-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Try a glue intended for melamine/wood adhesion. Roo glue is one brand. "Bonds to wood, melamine, vinyl, PVC edge banding, acrylic..." wwhardware.com sells it, as do many other companies serving cabinet shops.

Randy Meijer
12-01-2004, 11:26 AM
I use epoxy for almost everything; but have never tried to glue PVC. I have a gut feeling it might not hold well in all applications. Since there is no "weight" involved, my first choice would be a good quality contact cement.

Tim Morton
12-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the great input...The problem i see with contact cement and 2 part epoxy is that it will require me to take the whole bedroom apart to then take the mural down, which in the end i may have to do. But ideally I would like to be able to squeeze the glue into the opening and then put pressure on it till it dries. The end glue-up area will be about 3" x 80" and will be done for 2 different areas.

Chris Padilla
12-01-2004, 6:13 PM
Gorilla glue warmed up slightly in the microwave (10 s on High) can be spread extremely thinly as it is almost like water.

Dino Makropoulos
12-01-2004, 7:25 PM
Thanks for all the great input...The problem i see with contact cement and 2 part epoxy is that it will require me to take the whole bedroom apart to then take the mural down, which in the end i may have to do. But ideally I would like to be able to squeeze the glue into the opening and then put pressure on it till it dries. The end glue-up area will be about 3" x 80" and will be done for 2 different areas.

Is just an idea.
Double sided tape VHB. 1/32'' thick . (on the return portion)
YCF

Tim Morton
12-02-2004, 7:17 PM
I found a roll of 3M VHB tape and also a roll of 3M ATT tape and I have mocked up a test board which I will see what it looks like in the morning. Thanks for alerting me to this VHB stuff...its expensive but I can find many uses for it in my line of work.

Dino Makropoulos
12-02-2004, 7:53 PM
I found a roll of 3M VHB tape and also a roll of 3M ATT tape and I have mocked up a test board which I will see what it looks like in the morning. Thanks for alerting me to this VHB stuff...its expensive but I can find many uses for it in my line of work.

We have few extra rolls that we order.. wrong.
Let me know if you can put some of that stuff in use.

YCF.

Tim Morton
12-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Both the VHB tape and the ATT tape failed the test, but I am now trying the 5minute epoxy and good old fashioned super glue. I think Super glue and a well placed but hidden drywall screw is going to be the ultimate solution.

Peter Gavin
12-03-2004, 11:41 AM
3M makes a spray on adhesive that might do the job. I use it for scary sharp on glass and you can join the peices immediately after spraying for a permanent bond or let the peices dry for a few minutesfor a removable bond.

Peter

Tim Morton
12-03-2004, 11:59 AM
The winnner is: Loctite Super glue Gel :D After 10 minutes of curing , the Sintra BROKE before being pulled away from the MDO, and the MDO was bonded to the Sinta. I will always have a tube of this stuff on hand...cool glue!!