PDA

View Full Version : Couple of things...

David DeCristoforo
06-25-2010, 7:11 PM
This makes me think of a dinosaur egg. About 5" in diameter. My first mildly successful attempt at taming the Sorby hollowing tools.

And another one of those burl cap things. About 10" in diameter.

Got another attempt on the lathe right now... Anyone who thinks this is easy should take up calculus...

Toney Robertson
06-25-2010, 7:46 PM
Very nice David.

They both have the feel of stone and ancient stone at that. A very medieval feel.

Toney

Kurt Rosenzweig
06-25-2010, 7:49 PM
I really like them! The plate reminds me of an artifact from a ship wreck. Very cool.

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2010, 7:51 PM
Wow - You've been holding out on us! Beautiful work on both pieces - but have to admit I really like the egg!

Brian Brown
06-25-2010, 8:09 PM
This makes me think of a dinosaur egg.

David,

Makes me think of beautiful. Both pieces are very nice. The bottom one looks like a real sphincter tightener.

David E Keller
06-25-2010, 8:11 PM
Those are both really nice. I love the egg... Great coloring in that piece. I love the voids and tasteful details in the platter.

John Keeton
06-25-2010, 9:13 PM
Great pieces, David!! I love the "egg", but the other piece is neat too. Very clean on the details - and the air you turned even looks good!!:D:eek:

Peter Hay in Aus
06-25-2010, 9:49 PM
David, It reminds me of an Ostrich egg but really reminds of of the previous comments real top results, to be proud of or as the Irish say to be sure to be sure.

Peter.

Baxter Smith
06-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Both look great! Will have to try that egg shape with a piece of burl sometime. Well done.

Jeff Willard
06-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Nice carbuncle. No-not that kind:eek:.

Thom Sturgill
06-25-2010, 10:22 PM
I like! The 'egg' is very beautiful. The platter, as Brian said, looks like a real sphincter tightener. Don't know that I'd have the nerve, but I'd really want to keep my body out of the line of fire.

Allen Neighbors
06-25-2010, 11:22 PM
This makes me think of a dinosaur egg.

Got another attempt on the lathe right now... Anyone who thinks this is easy should take up calculus...

I thought it was a dinosaur egg... and I love calculus... I had one for a small snack, just the other evening...

Nevermind the baloney... I think you do good work, David. I'd like to try some burls, sometime...

Leo Van Der Loo
06-26-2010, 12:23 AM
This makes me think of a dinosaur egg. About 5" in diameter. My first mildly successful attempt at taming the Sorby hollowing tools.

And another one of those burl cap things. About 10" in diameter.

Mildly successful you say ?? HA

Love the egg burl, looks just right for that form,did you color it at all ?? or was that the natural color ??

Nice platter also, .....easy ??, no, I know wood is hard ;-))

Thanks for posting :D

John Hart
06-26-2010, 7:43 AM
I like 'em both very much. I wonder...given the diameters of both pieces....How do they look together? Seems like they could be a matching set.

David DeCristoforo
06-26-2010, 10:34 AM
"...did you color it at all ?? or was that the natural color ??..."

No color other than what was in the wood. I was happy to see that blue stain in the "platter". That was a surprise.

"...Seems like they could be a matching set...."

Right... as in "set em aside and gat back to work..."

Harvey Ghesser
06-26-2010, 1:19 PM
Nice work!:D

Jon Lanier
06-26-2010, 1:24 PM
Super nice!

Tim Rinehart
06-26-2010, 8:21 PM
David,
Sitting here with LOML, she is seeing all the work everyone is posting today, and saw your 'dino egg' and said "I Like That One". I agree, great shape, looks very nicely done. Now I have to go find a piece of burl to repeat for her...
thanks alot!!

Well done on both items. Would like to see a couple other perspectives on the platter piece, to see more of its shape.